CBR1100XX.org Forum

'99 FI Bird with intermittent low iddle and low rpm choke

rca29

Hi there!

One of these Sundays, I went for a ride and started to notice that the bike was choking at low rpm.

In the meantime, I put more gas on the tank, went for a highway and although it was running fine at higher rpm, the FI light came on. I stopped the bike, and the idle was at 800-900 rpm.

I turned the ignition off, turned the bike on again, the FI light was off and the idle back at ~1100 rpm. A few miles after that, I stopped for a coffee, and when I started the bike again, I had the FI light on again. :icon_naughty:

I did the same thing (switch off and switch on), and the light went away, although it was choking a little at low rpm (2000 / 2500). I did a few miles after that like I had stolen the bike, and everything went back to normal. :icon_biggrin:

Nevertheless, I checked the “loom problem”, and I did have some work to do (I cleaned the contacts with WD40 as they had that ‘green stuff’).

I never saw the FI light again and the bike seemed perfect after that, but today I went for a ride with some buddies (70km), but I did the last 10 km behind a new Honda Scooter (125cc and slow as hell). :icon_silenced:

By the time I was arriving home, the bike started to choke again at low rpm and with low idle (again 800 rpm). :icon_rolleyes: I had a little space to give it some “heat” to around 7000 rpm, and it was fine again (normal iddle, normal response)!

I have no FI light warning, but it seems obvious that something is still wrong in an intermittent way.

If someone has a clue of what the problem could be, please let me know.

Thanks for your help

I don't have a FI bike, but I think you might want to check battery and charging system. From reading past threads these might be part of your issue. Good luck!

Some simple things to check....

1. You have an idle set knob on the left side of the bike. Sometimes it gets buggered and a slight twist restores the idle to something more proper. Just something to check, not likely the problem.

2. Get a can of Seafoam or B-12 Chemtool (they're both the same thing) and put the whole can into a full tank of gas. Just in case you got something buggery in the fuel system.

I don't have a FI bike, but I think you might want to check battery and charging system. From reading past threads these might be part of your issue. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply.

I replaced the rectifier earlier this year, and I did all the tests as described in the service manual.

I didn’t have any other electrical problems since then (battery related), so it wouldn’t be my first ‘target’, but it doesn’t hurt to check.

Thanks.

Some simple things to check....

1. You have an idle set knob on the left side of the bike. Sometimes it gets buggered and a slight twist restores the idle to something more proper. Just something to check, not likely the problem.

2. Get a can of Seafoam or B-12 Chemtool (they're both the same thing) and put the whole can into a full tank of gas. Just in case you got something buggery in the fuel system.

I'm in Europe, and I believe that it might be hard to find any of those two (Seafoam or B-12 Chemtool).

But if I understand correctly, we're talking about fuel additives, right?

Sometimes it does feel like this is some kind of dirt in the fuel system problem... :icon_confused:

I would keep looking at the "wire loom fix". You said you cleaned the connection, but if you want a better and more permanent fix, you will need to by-pass the plug and solder the wires.

Also check all grounds, especially the one just to the left of the gas tank mounting bolts.