CBR1100XX.org Forum

SW-Motech rack issue -1997 1100xx

RC4G

I just purchased Hank's Givi E41's and SW-Motech mounting rack (thanks Hank) and have run into a challenge.

Hank had purchased the items used and therefore didn't have the original installation instructions. I was able to find a installation PDF online but the instructions don't match the version of rack I have as it look like I might have a first generation rack for the 1100xx.

The issue is the rear cross-bar that mounts across the rear fender. As you can see from the attached pics, the rack cross-bar runs across the mounting holes for the license plate light/frame.

Hank says he did not have to remove any of the rear fender components to remove the rack but he also has a newer year model 1100xx.

Does anyone have the installation instructions for the first-gen rack or have some insight how you mount the lower rear cross-bar in conjunction with the stock license plate frame?

post-47294-1319206613.jpg

post-47294-1319206622.jpg

I just purchased Hank's Givi E41's and SW-Motech mounting rack (thanks Hank) and have run into a challenge.

Hank had purchased the items used and therefore didn't have the original installation instructions. I was able to find a installation PDF online but the instructions don't match the version of rack I have as it look like I might have a first generation rack for the 1100xx.

The issue is the rear cross-bar that mounts across the rear fender. As you can see from the attached pics, the rack cross-bar runs across the mounting holes for the license plate light/frame.

Hank says he did not have to remove any of the rear fender components to remove the rack but he also has a newer year model 1100xx.

Does anyone have the installation instructions for the first-gen rack or have some insight how you mount the lower rear cross-bar in conjunction with the stock license plate frame?

post-47294-1319206613.jpg

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/view/55/1/20

I found this article with pics, maybe that will help. I have the Givi Wingrack so I don't have any direct experience with it.

Thanks Russ, but that article is specific to the EVO rack system which is the 2nd generation.

CBRBear:

Well, technically it would be 4 holes.

;)

My question is more towards the fact that I shouldn't have to drill any holes, in the Motech cross-bar or the OEM fender. I'm beginning to think that there are differences between various xx undertrays and this rack was not designed for a 1997.

I've got an email in to SW-Motech in German but who knows when they will respond. Sent an email to Twisted Throttle (USA distributor?) who promptly sent me installation instructions for the top rack. :(

Looks to me like all you have to do is drill 2 holes and mount the light and your done.

I'm beginning to think that there are differences between various xx undertrays and this rack was not designed for a 1997.

There are. I think you're probably going to have to drill something. Is there a reason you can't simply drill holes in the cross brace to line up with the holes in the plate and fender?

Oh, and FWIW, I ran the same setup on my ZX-14 with no rear fender, so that cross brace wasn't attached to the bike at all and came off with the racks. It was plenty solid, I used to use it as a handle to put the bike on a rear stand. So it doesn't necessarily have to be mounted on the bike, assuming you can keep it from interfering with or damaging the fender/plate while the racks are mounted.

I ended up drilling two holes on the cross bar and mounted the license plate frame to it. I'll post a pic up this weekend.

I had seriously considered not using the cross-bar as the rack was very sturdy with only three mounting points but since it was my first time using the rack and didn't want to risk an equipment malfunction on the way to Lafayette (via coast roads, not slabbing it on I-10).

The rack and nags worked out great. Yea, they look huge on the bike compared to without but I appreciated the storage space when I loaded them up.

I plan to pull the cross-bar and remove the rear turn signal relocation brackets as they are unnecessary and should clean up the rear bracket if I decide to permanently attach the cross-bar.

Hank, the Louisiana Ride for Kids went well. Its one of the smallest RFK events but with app. 75 bikes they still managed to raise $33k to help find the cause and cure of Pediatric Brain Tumors.

Please plan to attend a Ride for Kids event near you next year:

http://www.pbtfus.org/rideforkids/

• 3 weeks later...