CBR1100XX.org Forum

Getting carbs off the head

FloridaSilverBird

I've been trying to get the carburetor assy off the engine for a long while now. The bottom clamps are completely off but I am afraid that using any more force to get it off the engine will completely break the assembly. I've been using a crowbar for leverage on each side, putting pressure on the aluminum casings. It will rock front to back but it is not budging at all.

The reason I am trying to get it off is for cleaning which I am almost certain is needed.

I am thinking the only way I will be able to do this is to destroy the insulators somehow so that I can get them off and just buy new insulators.

Any advise?

I had to use a pry bar on mine too. 18" flat tire irons to be specific

I was careful to place it under a thick part of the casting and applied steadily increasing pressure.

You might also heat up the insulators with a heat gun or a hair dryer.

I used allen head bolts on the float bowls on re-install so I could R&R the bowls without removing the carbs.

• 8 months later...
I had to use a pry bar on mine too. 18" flat tire irons to be specific

I was careful to place it under a thick part of the casting and applied steadily increasing pressure.

You might also heat up the insulators with a heat gun or a hair dryer.

I used allen head bolts on the float bowls on re-install so I could R&R the bowls without removing the carbs.

I know this is an old thread but I've found that warming the engine up to operating temp the carbs come off real easy. Just loosen the clamps to the point you would to remove them and start the bike. When you go to reinstall them put a little grease on the carb boots