CBR1100XX.org Forum

Valve Shims

blkbrdrydr

Since the Shim Bank kit disappeared long ago, what size shims would I want to have on hand when I check the valve clearances in December? I'm considering ordering one or two of the Hot Cams refill kits that have 5 of each size between 1.80 - 2.05 and between 2.10 and 2.35 but I'm wondering what sizes that I'm likely to need, if any.

I've checked with the local dealers and none of them have shims in stock.

Unfortunately, in my experience the XX straddles the line between those two kits. Most were between 1.90 and 2.15, IIRC. If I had to choose (again, based on my experience), I'd go with the smaller kit.

Unfortunately, in my experience the XX straddles the line between those two kits. Most were between 1.90 and 2.15, IIRC. If I had to choose (again, based on my experience), I'd go with the smaller kit.

Thanks Tim. For some reason, I was afraid that I was going to get that answer.

December in Michigan...why not just take it apart, find out what ya need and ask here...I have some shims I'd trade for, maybe some of the other guys do too ...

Yeah, it'll be apart for a week or two, but do you still ride a lot then?

Not to mention, the factory shims are available in .001" increments while aftermarket are .002".

You can get much closer to a spec with factory as opposed to just in the spec range with aftermarket.

Hank

December in Michigan...why not just take it apart, find out what ya need and ask here...I have some shims I'd trade for, maybe some of the other guys do too ...

Yeah, it'll be apart for a week or two, but do you still ride a lot then?

Not to mention, the factory shims are available in .001" increments while aftermarket are .002".

You can get much closer to a spec with factory as opposed to just in the spec range with aftermarket.

Hank

Great suggestion. I'd forgotten that there are more sizes of shims for the Honda than there are for my Yamaha.

I do tend to ride year-round but I can ride the FJR1300 while the Blackbird is apart, and visa versa.

IIRC, shims for the CRF450 dirt-bike are the same diameter as the Bird and have a greater range of thicknesses. A dealer is more likely to have those in stock.

I also have a few shims I would be willing to trade. I just have to remember where I put them. :icon_rolleyes: