CBR1100XX.org Forum

JB Weld on Stator Cover

97 exex

Will JB Weld hold a scrape/crack in the stator cover? Have a slow oil drip on my 01 gsxr600 from putting it down on the track at Putnam. Pulled the cover and cleaned with simple green. Put a light coat over the area. Will a coat of JB Weld keep it from leaking? Is it a good idea to go ahead and put a 2nd application over it today? Will it clear tech for the next track day?

Will JB Weld hold a scrape/crack in the stator cover? Have a slow oil drip on my 01 gsxr600 from putting it down on the track at Putnam. Pulled the cover and cleaned with simple green. Put a light coat over the area. Will a coat of JB Weld keep it from leaking? Is it a good idea to go ahead and put a 2nd application over it today? Will it clear tech for the next track day?

I know it will work as a standard repair. Don't know what track inspectors would think.

It is on the underside of the cover, a little hard to see. May do just that- cover the whole scrape and then paint. Tried to find a beat up used one, but no dice. Something to watch on ebay, I guess.

Unless it's real obvious, you should pass tech with most orgs. The thing to consider is why it wouldn't pass tech if it was obvious- if you do go down on that side again it's pretty much a guarantee that it's going to bust open the repair and get oil all over the place. That's lost track time for everyone there while they clean it up. You'll be a real popular guy for the rest of the day. ;)

Go ahead and run it, but replace it when you can, IMO. Keep an eye on ebay for a sturdier aftermarket cover, don't waste your money on already crashed or beat up OEM stuff.

JB Weld and get one of those adhesive carbon fiber looking covers for it. No way for it to be seen, plus much less likely to split if crashed again.

I like my carbon covers.

certainly better looking than the gold colored cases and hid the little scratches I got from my bike following on me and the ground when my foot slipped out from under me. :icon_biggrin: