CBR1100XX.org Forum

Penske Shock is sticking

RichardCranium

My bike has been sitting more or less since June. Since I've had the Triple I haven't been giving the XX much love.

I took it out today just to run down the road about a mile and back and when I got back I noticed my shock was sticking in the compressed position. At one point I stopped and after a couple seconds the rear end of the bike raised up to where it should have been. Then I got home and it was squatted down. I tried bouncing it and then ultimately put it on the center stand and it still didnt release. I had to put my foot on it and push it down. I rode it around to the shop to park it and I put it on the side stand and after a few secs it released.

I haven't changed any settings on it but the shock had quite a few miles on it when I got it. I don't think it had ever been rebuilt.

Is this a pretty good sign that I need to ship it off for a rebuild?

Sounds like something's fucked up with the rebound circuit. Beyond stating the obvious, I got nothing.

Yes, but I think you already knew that. It shouldn't hurt too much.

A shock is a fairly simple item and unless the shock is leaking or has somehow lost it's charge, it should return to the extended position. The spring alone has tremendous pressure and should return it to full extension.

Before you go out and have the shock rebuilt, make sure there's no other issues causing the bike to stay squatted such as swingarm bushings/bearings.

My bike has been sitting more or less since June. Since I've had the Triple I haven't been giving the XX much love.

I took it out today just to run down the road about a mile and back and when I got back I noticed my shock was sticking in the compressed position. At one point I stopped and after a couple seconds the rear end of the bike raised up to where it should have been. Then I got home and it was squatted down. I tried bouncing it and then ultimately put it on the center stand and it still didnt release. I had to put my foot on it and push it down. I rode it around to the shop to park it and I put it on the side stand and after a few secs it released.

I haven't changed any settings on it but the shock had quite a few miles on it when I got it. I don't think it had ever been rebuilt.

I have this same shock. I got it for my 97. (Actually, they make/made two or three different versions....) Mine did pretty much the same thing when it got about 104,000 miles on it. In my case, the "Doughnut/o-ring went south, blocking some of the internal orifices.) I let GMD Computrack do a rebuild on mine. (I got to see the rebuild.) Depending on the date of it's build, Penske has upgraded a few of the internals in it. Also, you should try to find out the total Bike/Rider weight of the Original owner if possible,... and compare that to your total Bike/Rider (Plus any gear), because if there is enough difference, some of the internals/the Spring weight might need to be changed to give you a better ride. Or,... you can just let Penske know your total bike weight with you and any gear/clothing. (The bike should be about 550 Lbs. with a full tank of fuel.) Penske did a pretty good job making these shocks...(Excellent ride quality...) but with time/mileage, they do need the occasional rebuild. Hope this helps.

Have you tried messing with the rebound adjustment ? ....

You know, this reminds me that you were complaining about the way your bike was feeling when you were out here in Colorado a few months ago...

With a fair amount of weight in your Givi tail box. Which, although, yes your tail box was heavy, I have seen others carry more weight without the same complaints.

If I remember right, you said it had Head Shake on Deceleration....

Maybe there's more to answering that question in what you find now.

And I think Jeff has an Excellent point.

You might just want to put your bike on the center stand, release the lower dog bone, and see how easily the Swing-arm moves.

Might be a simple fix... or it might cost a little $ and time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I pulled the Penske off today and put the stocker back on. I looked it over and didn't see anything obvious. The swingarm bearings were fine too. I figure I should just send it off for a rebuild.

I pulled the Penske off today and put the stocker back on. I looked it over and didn't see anything obvious. The swingarm bearings were fine too. I figure I should just send it off for a rebuild.

Trackside suspension Are the people I use. Quality work for a fair price.

Tell them I sent you and it won't make a bit of difference. They do great work for everyone.

They use the stuff too. Scotty Ryan and his wife Meghan are fast people along with Meghan's Dad Mark Stiles.