CBR1100XX.org Forum

StreetPilot 2720 w/2011 Maps!

Garmin StreetPilot 2720 w/North America 2011.2 Maps Pre-Loaded

ASKING $200.00

If that seems high, make a reasonable offer. I saw some places saying it could be had for $150, but clicking on the link only showed it going for $350 or more and the few places showing around $200+ were showing the unit alone with no extras.

I've upgraded to a Zumo 660, so this baby is now redundant. It's a basic GPS. No bluetooth, and no MP3, but it's rugged and waterproof (IPX-7). It's seen a few years of action with no problems that Garmin didn't already fix. I'm not sure what's "fair" in price with GPS units going for a higher than normal price. Since this has fairly recent maps and extra mounts, I figure the asking price is in the ballpark.

WHAT YOU GET:

• StreetPilot 2720
  • RAM Garmin Cradle

(I found this worked better than Garmin's lockable cradle if you want to be able to remove the GPS from your bike quickly. Includes RAM ball pre-attached with locking nuts.)

• Owner's Manual
  • Protective Cover

(This only works with the Garmin cradles.)

• 12v Power Cord w/speaker

(The speaker and side plug is covered with electrical tape...my way to shelter exposed parts on the bike. The tape is removable.)

• AC Power Cord w/o speaker

(For tinkering with the GPS in the home.)

• Garmin USB cable
  • Garmin Mount Base and Adhesive Disc
  • Garmin Mount Base (bean bag/friction style)
  • IR Remote Control
  • Garmin Motorcycle Mount w/locking tool

(Includes RAM ball pre-attached with locking nuts.)

• Garmin City Navigator NT (MapSource software) w/2008 maps
  • DVD with 2011 maps, misc. Garmin software (may or may not be useful) and Garmin utility so you can switch the splash screen on unit with a custom image (handy anti-theft tool as I Photoshopped the original with owner contact info).
USEFUL FEATURES:
  • The StreetPilot series had features that were removed in the popular Zumo 550 and only some of which were brought back in part for the Zumo 660 series.
  • You get 4 independent track logs which can run separately or simultaneously. While they do have a limit on how much data each stores, you can do a whole day's riding (12+ hours) and still not reach 100% on any of them.
  • You get 4 independent mileage logs which can run separately or simultaneously.
  • Your display has 3 settings for information layout. Opting for the smallest data fields gives you a decent size map view (rivaling what you get on a Zumo 550), and the data fields are customizable.
  • Multiple languages were available for speech. Most have been installed already.
You can program the unit via the touchscreen, via the remote (I never used it), or via a download from your PC with MapSource (what I typically did).

MapSource will install with the 2008 maps that came with the unit. The unit now has 2011 maps installed and to get those maps on MapSource, the other DVD has the PC files and a READ ME file telling you how to install them with the unlock codes WHICH SHOULD WORK. If not, I'll try and help you. I managed to upgrade a laptop and netbook running XP and a desktop running Windows 7 to have both sets of maps available and unlocked in MapSource. The MapSource software might need to be upgraded, but that should be free from Garmin online. I did not upgrade MapSource via an install disc. I don't think there will be a problem as I don't think you need to authenticate with Garmin to install new maps to MapSource. You need Garmin to unlock the maps when installing to the GPS, but that's already taken care of for you.

ALSO INCLUDED....

RAM Suction Cup Mount and 6-inch arm extension. I bought these to use the Garmin motorcycle cradle so I could have the 2720 in my truck. I won't need them, but they are useful if you want a windshield mount for using this in a vehicle.

NOTE: I'm cross-posting this item on two other boards. In the unlikely event more than one person expresses an interest for it by the time I next check in, I'll deal first with whomever sent the earlier notice and move to the next if that person changes his/her mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...