CBR1100XX.org Forum

New bike questions

texasplumr

I rode in from Florida yesterday with a new to me Bird. It's a 2000 and is the third one I've owned. The first two were a 97 and 98 respectively.

I have a couple of questions though. This one doesn't seem to have the pull my others had. It's plenty fast but doesn't seem to pull as hard when I hit the power band. Don't know, it could be my imagination. Wondering if anyone noticed a difference going from a carb to a fuel injected? This one has slip ons and that is the only performance mod I can find. My 97 had a full Yoshi system and the 98 had Two Brothers slip ons.

It also has a kind of knock when it is hot but only at idle. I researched that one and found I'm not the only one with that noise so I'm not going to worry about it.

Also, today I have numb fingers on my left hand. The little one and the one next to it. I've never had that before and put some miles on my others while I had them. This bike has Grip Puppies on it though and I've never had those. Anybody else have that issue? I'm not sure if I like them or not so it won't bother me to remove them.

It's got a Penske shock on it so now I need to set the sag and then figure out where the chain needs to be adjusted to. I'm pretty sure it isn't gonna be the same as the stock setting now. Any of you running Penske shocks notice a huge difference in chain adjustment?

Thanks for any and all help!

I rode in from Florida yesterday with a new to me Bird. It's a 2000 and is the third one I've owned. The first two were a 97 and 98 respectively.

I have a couple of questions though. This one doesn't seem to have the pull my others had. It's plenty fast but doesn't seem to pull as hard when I hit the power band. Don't know, it could be my imagination. Wondering if anyone noticed a difference going from a carb to a fuel injected? This one has slip ons and that is the only performance mod I can find. My 97 had a full Yoshi system and the 98 had Two Brothers slip ons.

It also has a kind of knock when it is hot but only at idle. I researched that one and found I'm not the only one with that noise so I'm not going to worry about it.

Also, today I have numb fingers on my left hand. The little one and the one next to it. I've never had that before and put some miles on my others while I had them. This bike has Grip Puppies on it though and I've never had those. Anybody else have that issue? I'm not sure if I like them or not so it won't bother me to remove them.

It's got a Penske shock on it so now I need to set the sag and then figure out where the chain needs to be adjusted to. I'm pretty sure it isn't gonna be the same as the stock setting now. Any of you running Penske shocks notice a huge difference in chain adjustment?

Not trying to prod, but how old are you? Numbness in fingers can be due to lower back injury, or degenerative discs. They push on your sciatic nerve, which can make your fingers numb. Sciatica can run up and down your legs, and hands. I am 26, but have had back surgery due to a weight lifting injury, which resulted in a crushed disc. The surgery fixed it, but from time to time after long rides, or being cramped in certain positions I can get a numbness in those exact fingers. If on long rides the problem persists, I would suggest stretching the lower back when filling up the tank. Also concentrating on not arching the back too much while riding. You may need some riser bars. Do some research, good luck my man.

Not trying to prod, but how old are you? Numbness in fingers can be due to lower back injury, or degenerative discs. They push on your sciatic nerve, which can make your fingers numb. Sciatica can run up and down your legs, and hands. I am 26, but have had back surgery due to a weight lifting injury, which resulted in a crushed disc. The surgery fixed it, but from time to time after long rides, or being cramped in certain positions I can get a numbness in those exact fingers. If on long rides the problem persists, I would suggest stretching the lower back when filling up the tank. Also concentrating on not arching the back too much while riding. You may need some riser bars. Do some research, good luck my man.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I'm 57 and had sciatica years ago due to a herniated disk. It hadn't bothered me in so long that I never even considered it. I guess I'll have to start excersizing again, which is what cured it last time. Dammit!

It has VFR bars already so the risers I have already taken care of.

Thanks!

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I'm 57 and had sciatica years ago due to a herniated disk. It hadn't bothered me in so long that I never even considered it. I guess I'll have to start excersizing again, which is what cured it last time. Dammit!

It has VFR bars already so the risers I have already taken care of.

Thanks!

Yep, exercise is key. After the surgery I was lazy and slowly became round, and symptoms started to return. Over the past year I have begun exercising again, lost 25 pounds, and the back problems have gone away. If anyone wants to know the cheapest way to improve the perceived performance of your bike, it is to lose 25 unnecessary pounds.

Russ,

The injected models have a significantly different power curve than the carbies. This is due to the fuel injection metering and the header construction. Carbies have a soft spot and then a "hit" as the revs climb in the 5-7000 rpm range. The soft spot accentuates the "hit." Injected models have a more linear power curve and just accelerate steadily. Google some dyno results and you can see the dip in the carbs performance which should mirror what you've experienced with your different XX's.

The knock at idle could be a few different things. Its most likely just driveline lash and is harmless. To test that, see if it goes away when you pull in the clutch.

Regardless of what brand shock is on the bike, the only thing about the shock that affects chain tension is its length. Your shock could be adjusted longer or shorter than an Ohlins, Wilbers, or another Penske, so that comparison really isn't a good indicator of your needs. Just adjust your chain so that it doesn't become over-tight as the shock is compressed.

The sciatic nerve is only in your leg, as it originates in from the lower lumbar spine. That's not to say you don't have nervous complication in your arm or hands, its just not the sciatic nerve. What comes to mind, especially on a long trip, and doubly so if you've been off an XX-type bike for a while, is that you may be bending your wrist and putting pressure on it for support. That hyperextension can impinge upon the nerves that go around that joint. In your case its most probably the ulnar nerve due to the lesser finger involvement. Support your weight with your back and keep your wrists straighter and this should improve. If it doesn't improve, or you notice involvement in your arm, you may have a problem with your cervical vertebrae involving a damaged or ruptured disc, and should see a neurologist/neurosurgeon to explore the problem and your options.

Russ,

The injected models have a significantly different power curve than the carbies. This is due to the fuel injection metering and the header construction. Carbies have a soft spot and then a "hit" as the revs climb in the 5-7000 rpm range. The soft spot accentuates the "hit." Injected models have a more linear power curve and just accelerate steadily. Google some dyno results and you can see the dip in the carbs performance which should mirror what you've experienced with your different XX's.

The knock at idle could be a few different things. Its most likely just driveline lash and is harmless. To test that, see if it goes away when you pull in the clutch.

Regardless of what brand shock is on the bike, the only thing about the shock that affects chain tension is its length. Your shock could be adjusted longer or shorter than an Ohlins, Wilbers, or another Penske, so that comparison really isn't a good indicator of your needs. Just adjust your chain so that it doesn't become over-tight as the shock is compressed.

The sciatic nerve is only in your leg, as it originates in from the lower lumbar spine. That's not to say you don't have nervous complication in your arm or hands, its just not the sciatic nerve. What comes to mind, especially on a long trip, and doubly so if you've been off an XX-type bike for a while, is that you may be bending your wrist and putting pressure on it for support. That hyperextension can impinge upon the nerves that go around that joint. In your case its most probably the ulnar nerve due to the lesser finger involvement. Support your weight with your back and keep your wrists straighter and this should improve. If it doesn't improve, or you notice involvement in your arm, you may have a problem with your cervical vertebrae involving a damaged or ruptured disc, and should see a neurologist/neurosurgeon to explore the problem and your options.

I stand corrected:

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/her...eatment-options

Rockmeupto is kind of a like a non-retarded Rainman, walking encyclopedia. I didn't know Sean Penn rides an XX.

Haha, anyway thanks, its nice to learn new things about yourself. I always assumed my numbness in the fingers was from my lower back, not my upper. Kind of worries me though, my back is going to be shit in 20 years. Fun, cervical and sciatic.

Dave Chapelle fans.... "Doctor said I need a backiotomy"

Russ,

I'm glad that it wasn't my imagination on the power delivery. That makes complete sense.

I'm always careful to try and support my weight with my body and keep the pressure off of my wrists. However, it was a long hot trip and found myself adjusting quite often to give different parts of my body some relief. I guess I need to work on some conditioning of my aging body. Dammit!

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

The numbness could also be from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome :icon_surprised: I have it from years in the building game using hammer drills etc :icon_frown: I use a Vista Cruise to allow me to flex my fingers and not need a tight grip on the throttle :icon_think: Joe is correct about the different power characteristics as well, when I was looking I rode quite a few XX's, mostly 97/98's due to my budget but did try a couple of later FI ones (a 01 and a 04 from memory) and they both felt slightly torquier off the bottom but just didn't have the rush once you hit ~6500rpm :icon_twisted: I went with a 98 after that :icon_evilgrin:

I think the FI ones are also down a few HP until the ram air takes effect at higher speeds as well :icon_think: