CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question about oil spill.

everydayrider99

Many of you have viewed my first 2 posts about the "possibly getting screwed" and then onto the "oil leak". If so, skip the first long boring paragraph.

For those that have not, read on. Recently bought a 99' blackbird. Two days after own with about 150 miles under the belt from me, the engine kind of seized when trying to start. I instantly thought, oh great. Anyway, bike started, road to work, started at lunch, started when left to go home. Bike did same seizing thing the next morning, got it running, I took my woman for a ride and put in the garage for the night. After talking to people on the forum, it was determined that my Fuel pressure regulator is bad, has been draining gas into the crankcase, making the oil shitty. THEN the next day I noticed what looked like an oil leak under the bike. I bent over, felt it, determined it was oil and decided I had a whole new problem. Left the oil there, closed the garage door and tried to block it out of the head because I was going to be gone for a week or so.

So I leave for over a week on business. And when I come back the oil spill is kind of like dried up, with no residue leftover, just a dark look to it. When I felt the oil from the original leak, it was greasy, gritty, and viscous. And now it is dried. I assumed motor oil WOULDN'T dry into nothing. Or does the oil slowly seep outwards making the spot bigger? My highest hopes are that it was not an oil leak but a fuel leak from a shitty FPR, and the fuel leaked down the inside of dirty fairing, picking up enough shit and gritty stuff, so that when it had leaked it may have felt a little like oil. (it smelled like fuel, but remember, there is fuel in my oil from the FPR).

I have never had a vehicle which leaked oil before, and anytime I have spilled oil I would clean it up right away. So about the supposed oil leak. What does an oil leak that is roughly 1 foot long by 6 inches look like after a week on a smooth concrete garage floor??? Wouldn't it leave behind a residue?

I am going to take it apart here soon, but I would like to fix the tank, the FPR, change the oil/filter and be done with it. Rather than starting it back up to find an oil leak.

A dry concrete floor will dry up oil, but it usually has some oily residue.

I hope what you saw was a fuel leak, mixed with road scum washed off the engine by the leak.

I would follow the earlier advice and change the FPR and clean the tank. A sticking injector could allow fuel to get into one cylinder while the bike is stopped.

I think I would pull the plugs and look for dry and or wet before trying to crank the bike again.

I changed my FPR recently. Easy to do, just needed a couple of large open end wrenches to hold the FPR and the injector rail. Don't want to bend that rail.

Also, the FPR has a short tube with two o rings on it to couple to the injector rail. My FPR came off with the tube in it. My new FPR didn't have the tube, so I scratched my

head for a couple of minutes before gently removing the tube and putting it on my new FPR.

Good luck and keep posting results.

every

I would say you nailed it with fairing washdown. The foam insulation inside the fairing is open pour so it kind of acts like a sponge. Just be sure to change the oil and filter before you light the bike up again. Glad you didn't bend a rod hydraulic locking it like that.

3 or 4 weeks ago I opened an engine using my bike lift as a workbench. Although I drained the oil beforehand, the residual oil in the cases ran off the stand to form a puddle of oil under the engine stand. The floor of my garage is old concrete has a lot of pores (not to mention cracks and erosion. At this point the puddle is half gone, with a dark stain where it stood, and half the puddle still remains in a liquid state.

Does that give you a comparative? My feeling is to agree with the other posters.

How about some pictures.

I took off the side fairings. It started the bike(it started right up) probably because of low fuel, and not leaking into a cylinder. I wanted the bike to leak again like it did after a hard ride, but I did not want it run too long with fuel in the oil.

Here is what I was greeted with when removing the side fairings. Oil on the inside of both fairings foam and crud(foam) caked onto the Radiator Tube. I can not locate where this leak could have came from though.

post-152616-1314499177.jpg

post-152616-1314499186.jpg

post-152616-1314499195.jpg

post-152616-1314499207.jpg

post-152616-1314499219.jpg

post-152616-1314499227.jpg

post-152616-1314499237.jpg

post-152616-1314499319.jpg

When the Honda dealer did the first (and their last) oil change on my Bird, they didn't make sure the old oil filter gasket was still in the old filter. The two gaskets caused an oil leak that soaked up pretty much the whole lower left fairing insulation foam, and messed up the left front side of the engine in just a very few miles. A few more miles and both sides would probably have been mucked up.

When the Honda dealer did the first (and their last) oil change on my Bird, they didn't make sure the old oil filter gasket was still in the old filter. The two gaskets caused an oil leak that soaked up pretty much the whole lower left fairing insulation foam, and messed up the left front side of the engine in just a very few miles. A few more miles and both sides would probably have been mucked up.

When I first started riding, I did not know about forum's. My VFR had the typical regulator burn out, and I was clueless. Took it to the dealer, got F'ed, and will never let another Honda Dealer touch my bikes again. It is amazing that from a company who can produce such an amazing product, does not see to it that mechanics who work in their dealerships are held to the same standards. Suck it Avon, Ohio Honda. (I think they went out of business). Why is there is not a smiley with a big middle finger?

I did the exact same thing, but I don't have a dealer to blame. I tried, but I never could get all the oil out of that foam.