CBR1100XX.org Forum

Suspension setup for 2-up riding?

FiremanBob

I was just about to ask the same thing, just a little differently. I could not find anything in the shop manual regarding shock adjustment. Maybe now that I think about it the owner's manual addresses adjustments. I will look this evening. In the meantime, does anyone have some insight? I am about to load the bike up pretty good for my trip, and I have never adjsuted shocks for the added weight.

Check your sag, adjust preload accordingly, which is a bit of a bitch on the XX. Double lock ring, use a drift to loosen top lock ring, then use the same drift to move the bottom ring up or down to adjust preload.

That said, unless you're an uncommonly heavy guy, the XX does pretty well stock for two up. It's oversprung in the rear and undersprung in the front, which is perfect for an added load behind the rider. Having my 115lbs wife on the back actually made my XX handle better when the suspension was all stock.

Reminds me of a quote from a long gone member- "the stock suspension was set up for riding off a curb two up".

Actually Tim, the stock rear spring is 950 lbs and is generally replaced with a 1100 lb spring.

Stock fronts are .85 or .88 and are generally replaced with a 1.0.

Talking a 190-210 lb rider.

My suggestion would be a Hyperpro Combi kit and I say that after using it.

The strange/good thing about the full progressive wound spring is they essentially adjust to any weight so going from 1 up to 2 up doesn't upset the balance to much.

The kit comes with a recommendation for oil level and also comes with fork oil, so a fork service would just add to the package.

Its not a bad interum step for a guy who doesn't want to spend a lot.

Stefan had a Combikit in his BB at RacerXX and looked to be doing a pretty good job,

both on track and off... :icon_biggrin:

Hank

Actually Tim, the stock rear spring is 950 lbs and is generally replaced with a 1100 lb spring.

Stock fronts are .85 or .88 and are generally replaced with a 1.0.

Talking a 190-210 lb rider.

Dammit, Hank, stop being right all the time ;)

I need to quit commenting on specifics of a bike I haven't owned in 5 years. I think maybe I was thinking of the damping rather than the springs, but either way, I'm gonna shuddup now....

That said, unless you're an uncommonly heavy guy, the XX does pretty well stock for two up. It's oversprung in the rear and undersprung in the front, which is perfect for an added load behind the rider. Having my 115lbs wife on the back actually made my XX handle better when the suspension was all stock.

+1 Dito

• 4 weeks later...
That said, unless you're an uncommonly heavy guy, the XX does pretty well stock for two up.

That's me unfortunately at 135kg's/300lb's :icon_rolleyes: I had to go to an 1100lb spring and 900RR shock to combat bottoming with the missus on the back and put 1.2kg/mm fork springs in to combat bottoming under brakes :icon_wall:

Be careful about jacking up your preload and reducing your sag in the rear for 2 up riding.... it can have very negative affects.

I recommend you still set your bike up for, solo riding, then with the passenger added your bike will have the proper rake and trail to keep it stable and predictable.

If you set your bike up with the springs and sag for 2 up riding the same as you do for the solo riding....

well, I would fear that you will be looking at a very twitchy front end and possibly even asking for a Low-side crash.... depending on how hard you ride that is.

From here:

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat...gtype=COMBI-KIT

Or here:

http://motocd.com/cd/index.php?option=com_...1&Itemid=53

There is some reading on the Hyper Pro USA site that might prove interesting.

Joyce at Cogent will probably offer a better price but will take longer.

Hank

• 10 months later...
Be careful about jacking up your preload and reducing your sag in the rear for 2 up riding.... it can have very negative affects.

I recommend you still set your bike up for, solo riding, then with the passenger added your bike will have the proper rake and trail to keep it stable and predictable.

If you set your bike up with the springs and sag for 2 up riding the same as you do for the solo riding....

well, I would fear that you will be looking at a very twitchy front end and possibly even asking for a Low-side crash.... depending on how hard you ride that is.

Preload? Sag?

I am looking through the Shop Manual for suspension adjustment info and I only see one small blurb about some small dial at the bottom of the bike

near the middle that you turn clockwise to harden or the other way to soften.

I would like to understand the Preload/Sag difference(s) and exactly how to do them since I'm not finding that information in the Shop Manual...

unless I'm not looking in the right area? Chapter/Section 13 in the Shop manual is where I'm looking

With 2 of us on the bike, the Givi loaded down and the tank bag loaded down the bike feels like a sloshy pig. With just the 2 of us on the bike

or even just me on the bike it feels like the front tire is doing a subtle, consistent bouncing up and down.

I just had new tires put on and I thought that might be causing the wheel bouncing... took it back to the shop, they checked the wheel round

and tire balance and both checked out fine. They checked the head bearing and found no excessive play.... checked the rotors and didn't find

any .... uh... run out(?).

They were at a loss so I'm just riding the bike. The bouncing is annoying but goes away mostly above 70mph but is most noticeable between 40-45mph.

Could it be the fork fluid being low? I don't see any fluid leaking from anywhere on the forks or anything that looks as though fluid leaked at one time.

Maybe I should have a separate thread since I have 2 different questions.... but maybe they're related