CBR1100XX.org Forum

Changing valve cover gasket?

Mikey

I'm leaking from my valve cover gasket again around #3 sparkplug. It's really hard getting the gasket on without those middle moving out of alignment. This candestroy the gasket.

Any suggestions on keeping it in place?

Pematex AND you gotta strip a lot of hardware off to get it back on without it being knocked off. I got the cover off through the top, but I had to loosen the radiator and fan and carefully work it in from the front. Every time I tried to go back in the way I got it off, it got knocked loose. :icon_mad:

K, red permatex and pull it from the gas tank side, but put it in through the front after dropping the radiator? Think that's the best route?

I'm twitching here. I can't believe this is twice it's leaked from the same damn area. Only 115k miles too. Hopefully this is the worst thing I have to deal with.

Is the gasket damaged, even slightly? If so, get a new one. I used Honda-bond to hold mine in place. Degrease gasket and cover, and then using your finger, wipe a thin layer of Honda-bond on the gasket. Stick the gasket into the groove of the cover and let dry over-night. Then re-install......... from the front. A second set of eyes might be a good idea to make sure the gasket stays in the groove of the cover until you have it in place.