CBR1100XX.org Forum

2002 no fan

gardjj

Fan does not come on at all, My 99 manual shows a fan switch on the radiator. where is it on a 2002? The fuse is good. Any suggestions.

JJG.

I didn't think my fan worked either. It doesn't come on until the gauge reads 219f. Wow!

I have seen mods where folks put a manual switch on the dash. Then in traffic they just leave it on.

One problem is the water pump doesn't do much until the revs hit 4K. So in traffic, the temp soars unless you crank up the revs.

I just installed a fan switch and was done with it.

Ever since the XX overheated on a trip, the fan never seemed to kick in before I risked boilover. Just put in the switch and operate the fan manually.

Easier that way.

O.K. Fan works fine, had no idea the temp. needed to be 210 before it would kick in. Why so warm before it kicks in?

JJG.

Every bike I've owned that was so equipped the fan has kicked on at 210-220. You're used to something different?

Easier that way.

Yeah, taking an automatic process and making it a manual one is definitely easier.

O.K. Fan works fine, had no idea the temp. needed to be 210 before it would kick in. Why so warm before it kicks in?

JJG.

Every bike I've owned that was so equipped the fan has kicked on at 210-220. You're used to something different?

Easier that way.

Yeah, taking an automatic process and making it a manual one is definitely easier.

Yes my KZ 1000 never runs above 190. so you can imagine when I sat at a light for the first time with the black Bird, I freaked out when it 205.

Here in So Florida I see temps in the mid 220's daily.

Just got back from a 30 mile ride and saw 223 at a traffic light with outside temps at 78 degrees

No reason for concern until it goes over 235

It starts to blink at 250

She likes to move, hates to stand still

Umm, isn't the KZ1000 air cooled?

205 is fine for a water cooled bike. No need to get alarmed unless it's 240 and climbing, or running that high for extended periods.

Here in So Florida I see temps in the mid 220's daily.

Just got back from a 30 mile ride and saw 223 at a traffic light with outside temps at 78 degrees

No reason for concern until it goes over 235

It starts to blink at 250

She likes to move, hates to stand still

It is rainy and freakin 38 here, can't wait for the weather to break. How is it when it is really hot there?

Umm, isn't the KZ1000 air cooled?

205 is fine for a water cooled bike. No need to get alarmed unless it's 240 and climbing, or running that high for extended periods.

Negative, you must be thinking of the old Z1.

One thing good about the XX is that the fan will actually bring the temp back down once it kicks on. Just back from a ride on my 03 and saw the fan kick on at 216, and then would come down just sitting still. Same way with my 99 XX. My Busa will rarely even kick the fan on.

If you want a bike that really runs hot in traffic, check out the ZX14. Mine is better now that it has few miles on it, but it still kicks on the fan halfway up the segment, and will continue to climb even with the fan running in traffic. Some guys are installing a different fan blade, or another fan, but I'm just leaving mine until it pukes out coolant. Most says it will never happen.

Absolutely.

Not sure where 216 registers on the gauge, but after you have your radiator blow a leak from overheat and spray coolant while on the earlier leg of a 9,000 mile cross-country trip because the fan either didn't come on at all or in time to pull the temperature back down, you find the benefit of being able to throw a switch and stop that needle from going any higher towards the H.

I'm not sure why they set the temp switch with that high a trigger. Not sure why the switch stops doing it's job. Two bikes, both water cooled. Each one suffers an overheat problem and the single-wire fan switch never seems to work right again. Both bikes I put a bypass switch on and I never have another overheat problem....and I'm not the only person who's done this mod.

Magical number on my '03 is 214 and it works every time. Never have had a problem.