CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bent Forks?

SLyFoXX

What would be some symptoms if your forks are bent?

Just had a funny feeling up front yesterday on my way back from Phoenix, tire pressure was a bit low so I brought them up to correct pressure - that seemed to help but in the back of my mind I kept thinking is something wrong up front.

An now back from Sun to good Ol Oregon cold rain.

Bent fork tubes would be really easy to spot visually. A slightly tweaked triple tree not so much. My personal method relies on how the bike feels, whether the bars are straight with the wheel track, and whether I can keep my weight centered and keep a straight line track with hands off the bars....not recommending riding with hands off the bars though, just long enough or light enough touch to let the bike do it's own thing independent of my influence for a short stretch. If you're just talking about the bars being square to your perception, wait for a few rides before doing anything drastic. I drove myself nucking futs with that one a couple years past and finally came to the conclusion it wasn't entirely (or maybe not at all) the bikes fault. Shoulder, neck, back, wrist, arm, or even probably a slight head injury can result in a really annoying sense of perceptual misalignment. Age doesn't help either I doubt...

I know exactly what you're feeling. It's like that "Princess and the Pea" fairytale. Happens to me all the time.

Check all the nuts and bolts in the front end for tightness. If everything is good there and you haven't had a recent tip-over or hit a humongous pot-hole, it's likely just you.

Any idea how much force it takes to bend a fork?

The only way to actually tell is to disassemble and check with v blocks but if the front bounces smoothly without any sticks it is probably fine. Check all fasteners.

And trust that if it doesn't feel right, you may just be correct. Bearings come to mind.

The only way to actually tell is to disassemble and check with v blocks but if the front bounces smoothly without any sticks it is probably fine. Check all fasteners.

And trust that if it doesn't feel right, you may just be correct. Bearings come to mind.

+1

Yepp!

Been there and done that :icon_whistle:

But not on an XX.

I had a big mishap on the old Suzuki and drove of the road and had 60 mph

on the meter when I went out of road :icon_rolleyes:

Hit a ditch and flew of the bike. I and the bike was roughed up pretty good,

but I got it back on the road . Noticed the forks were bent and drove home.

Had those in a machine shop, and it had 10 mm clearance. Could almost

put my pinky under it. They filled it with sand and got it 99% right.

Didn’t notice anything wrong after, but on an XX I would have change them.