CBR1100XX.org Forum

HELP!!!...Backfiring?!!

hedgehog

I went out to start my bird today to run it up to temp and listen to it hum. Instead of purring nicely, it backfires and will not start. I fires some and then I will get a backfire. I have a 97 bird. Most eveything is stock excep my exhaust. I have never had this problem before, usually it just starts, maybe a little hard sometimes but it would always start. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Its been sitting since I last run it in November. I put Seafoam in with every tank full of gas. I guess I will have to wait until it warms up around here and then try again. I replaced the plugs only 2400 miles ago and the bike only has 16k on it.

I drove it around awhile, filled it up, put some seafoam in, ran it a little longer to make sure that the seafoam was in carbs also. Then I let it cool, pushed it into the garage, attached a battery maintainer, and covered the bike. That is it.

Its not uncommon for a carbed bird to foul the plugs in cold weather after sitting for some time. Its certainly happened many times to me. With the usual 3-4 birds in the garage at any one time in various stages of repair, they don't get started and run on the most regular basis. If you can spin them over strong and fast, they generally fire well, but using most of your charge on the starter just seems to let the plugs get fluffy. Another thing is the shite gas we're getting now. I used to strongly advocate a full tank of gas and Stabil for the winter months...now I'm considering running the tanks dry instead. With the alcohol fixation our asshole government has, gas does not seem to remain stable for as long as it used to before they started doing things to make it better.

Seafoam is a cleaner, not a stabilizer. I`m also leaning towards plugged carbs, perhaps next winter use Sta-Bil to stabilize the fuel. And a friend of mine has used the parts store version of the stabilizer and then had problems the following year. In this case I`d recommend only the Sta-Bil name brand.

Ray

I went out to start my bird today to run it up to temp and listen to it hum. Instead of purring nicely, it backfires and will not start. I fires some and then I will get a backfire. I have a 97 bird. Most eveything is stock excep my exhaust. I have never had this problem before, usually it just starts, maybe a little hard sometimes but it would always start. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

got the same problem with my 03, backfires and won't start. gunna look at the FPR

Do you guys still have the original vacuum hoses?? One of mine dry rotted and cracked and was giving me that sort of problem or your main jets could be gummed up.

• 4 weeks later...
How long has it set?

Chances are, fresh plugs will cure your illness.

Sparkplugs. Replace them.

+1

yes that's what the problem was the plugs were toast, new plugs and she's back to normal........