CBR1100XX.org Forum

Traxxion Dynamics or GP Suspension?

blkbrdrydr

For the past 50,000 miles, I've had Hyperpro fork springs in my Blackbird and am thinking about upgrading the suspension for the bikes 10th birthday.

Several months ago, I sent my FJR1300 forks to Dave Holmes at GP Suspension and was very pleased with the results. However, since the Blackbird forks don't have the adjustability of the FJR1300, I'm wondering if I might prefer Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges for the Honda.

I live in Southeastern Michigan where there are 11 curves in 318 miles, I don't do Track Days, rarely carry a passenger, and only use the Givi sidecases for an occasional trip. Most of the 5,000 annual miles that I put on the Blackbird are on Interstates

Thoughts?

HANKSXXX is currently working on some group pricing with Cogent Dynamics that promises to be very attractive. I hope he'll chime in here shortly and bring us up to speed on the time frame we're looking at.

:icon_think:

Thanks for the prod Joe...I gotta give Rick a call.

Rick, the owner of Cogent Dynamics located outside of Asheville NC, put together a group buy for the members here a couple of years ago. He supplied close to 2 dozen Penske shocks and rebuilt and upgraded a similar amount of forks. He works with each person individually to give them the best suspension he can. At the time, Cogent was the largest Racetech distributor in the US and the second largest distributor of Penske shocks in the US. Besides his own line of custom parts, he has developed a close association with Ohlins USA. He developed a 25 mm cartridge kit to upgrade the FJR 1300 suspension, as can be seen on Ohlins USA's website. He also has an in-house dyno where he can test shocks and forks after assembly to optimize the balance of each unit.

He is currently working on a group buy for you guys but hasn't finalized it yet.

He wants to offer a 25mm drop-in cartridge assembly, ala the FJR/Ohlins deal, that will be able to be transferred to other bikes having the same basic fork configuration. Part of his problem is the parts to make the compression, rebound, and spring preload adjustable externally add greatly to the price. He is trying to work that out at present but may offer a basic, non-adjustable 25mm cartridge assy. You will simply remove all internals, re-install the new stuff, add oil and ride. When he does the group buy, he will probably offer the standard 20 mm valves by Racetech, Penske, and Ohlins as alternatives as well, along with Ohlins or Penske rear shocks. His pricing will be very attractive and well worth the wait.

I'll get in touch with him and see when we can get the group buy rolling. I suggest anyone who is in a hurry to call him, let him know that you are a member here and that you can't wait for the group buy..I'm sure he will be happy to accommodate you.

Hank

That's great news!

Now, does anyone have any opinions regarding my Traxxion Dynamics versus GP Suspension question? LOL

what the cost on each one? If the difference is not that much?? It always comes down to the $$$

XX forks can be made to work very well even with stock compression and rebound valves .They just need to be reshimmed/ revalved .

If you wanna go with digestive,traxxion dynamics style valving you gonna need this :

http://www.traxxion.com/ValvingUpgradeKit.aspx

This kit will allows you to preload shims . It basically makes forks firm during slow speed action ( like dive during braking ) but plush when you hit sharp bumps, etc .

http://forks.darladog.com/

If interested just copy his settings , they work very well .

FJR has crude, stone age orifice type rebound valves , they need to be replaced , compression valves are incapable of flowing enough oil, so yea , those should be replaces but XX has good quality valves . There is no need to replace them .

Here is more info ,my yzf 1000r fork rebuild/revalve .

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index....ic,57796.0.html

I called Dave Hodges at GP Suspension today and discussed how to upgrade the suspension on the Blackbird. Ultimately, we decided to do the same things as were done to my FJR1300.

Fork Services

Labor

Oil

Fork Seals

GP Suspension Fork Springs

Correct Valving Stack on Rebound Pistons

Compression Kit

Dust Seals, Bushings

Rear Shock Absorber

Penske Model #8983 (felt that it would be a better choice than the Ohlins)

I called Dave Hodges at GP Suspension today and discussed how to upgrade the suspension on the Blackbird. Ultimately, we decided to do the same things as were done to my FJR1300.

Fork Services

Labor

Oil

Fork Seals

Compression Kit

Dust Seals, Bushings

Rear Shock Absorber

I had Dave at GP do all of that to my forks a couple of years back when there was

a group buy. It made a major difference in the handling of the 'bird. I got the 8981

shock, which is the unit being offered on the group buy, which also made a huge

difference in handling; I don't know what the difference between the two might be.

Edit: I just looked back in my records: the forks were $465 and the shock was $760

on the group buy.

Fork Services

Labor

Oil

Fork Seals

Compression Kit

Dust Seals, Bushings

Rear Shock Absorber

Sounds similar to what Catlyst Reaction http://feelthetrack.com/ wants to do w/my bird. Can you say the price quoted?