CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heli-bars and throttle cable

Rixxx

I bought a set of Heli-bars off a VFR. I don't know if they are higher than the standard Bird ones or not. Problem is the throttle cables seem to be too short. Somewhere in my dim memory I read that earlier carbed model cables are longer. I need new cables anyway for the current project I just purchased. Anyone???

On another note I did have to have the clutch and brake lines lengthened. I also thought this would be simple....silly me.

One more note. I am going to purchase the complete fairing set from the Guandong Shenzhen Hong Kong Handlebar and Purse factory (Maybe not the exact name). Anyone have any recommendations or scary stories about their overseas fairing purchases?

TIA

Rick

post-2629-1295632561.jpg

I bought a set of Heli-bars off a VFR. I don't know if they are higher than the standard Bird ones or not. Problem is the throttle cables seem to be too short. Somewhere in my dim memory I read that earlier carbed model cables are longer. I need new cables anyway for the current project I just purchased. Anyone???

On another note I did have to have the clutch and brake lines lengthened. I also thought this would be simple....silly me.

One more note. I am going to purchase the complete fairing set from the Guandong Shenzhen Hong Kong Handlebar and Purse factory (Maybe not the exact name). Anyone have any recommendations or scary stories about their overseas fairing purchases?

TIA

Rick

post-2629-1295632561.jpg

Moition pro would be my first phone call.

TIA

Rick

Yeah I believe the carbed throttle cables are longer but if the Helibars are from a VFR they will be even higher than the VFR bars so the throttle cables of a carbed XX may still be short, I'd heard that the cables from an ST1300 could be used but am not sure :icon_confused:

The Chinese fairings seem to be a bit hit and miss, some mount up reasonably well with only minor work required and look ~80% of OEM fairings and others seem to be a bit of a nightmare :icon_think:

Thanks e-mailed them , see what happens.

TIA

Rick

Yeah I believe the carbed throttle cables are longer but if the Helibars are from a VFR they will be even higher than the VFR bars so the throttle cables of a carbed XX may still be short, I'd heard that the cables from an ST1300 could be used but am not sure :icon_confused:

The Chinese fairings seem to be a bit hit and miss, some mount up reasonably well with only minor work required and look ~80% of OEM fairings and others seem to be a bit of a nightmare :icon_think:

If the carbed ones were an 1" longer it would be OK. I'm not in a hurry so I will explore all my options.

Re: the Chinese fairings I almost pulled the trigger last night after a couple of beers but knowing my history I decided to wait til the morning. After restoring a working amount of oxygen to my brain I am going to continue looking for a stock upper cowl and right side fairing. The wrecked one I bought is really a pretty nice bike and I think the Chinese fairings would diminish the value of it.

The overseas nose i bought didnt work very well at all. it was so far off lining up that it made me decied to just repair what i had damaged. Now I have a cheap $150 nose cowl i will never use.

The overseas nose i bought didnt work very well at all. it was so far off lining up that it made me decied to just repair what i had damaged. Now I have a cheap $150 nose cowl i will never use.

That's what I 'm afraid of. I would have no recourse. Who or what company did you buy from? Send me a PM if you get a chance.

Rick

Yep,you've added about an 1.5" or so where you shouldn't have.

How about trading your VFR helibars to a VFR owner for his stock bars ?There must be a VFR forum right?You might even gain some money back.

Just another option.There is a company Magura or something that sounds like that that custome makes cables,complete with the correct metal elbow etc.

I think Motion Pro just makes longer than stock cruiser cables.

Just got an e-mail from one of the Chinese manufacturers. I had no idea there were different molding processes. This could explain why some fit good etc. I thanked this guy for his honesty.

"Hello Rick,

The CBR1100XX 00-02 model is made by compression mould, The fitment is so so. If you want the higher quality of that, we're afraid it can not be matched your requirement.

It is not the injection mould. So please consider again before you buy it.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Quality products for quality customers!"

• 2 weeks later...

When I added my LSL bars I had to get a longer clutch line but the brake line, throttle, and choke cables would JUST reach, although the routing was ugly to make it work.

Now I'm finishing my Busa front end swap and I built my own riser and adapter that added about another 1" rise and 1" pull back so I'm getting all new.

Venhill makes real nice looking hydraulic line kits for about 40 bucks a line, which is a great price, and it looks like Motion Pro can make all new cables for just over 100.

I am adding 5" to stock lengths.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTItMjAxMTAxMzAtMTEzOC5qcG

Side shot:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTctMjAxMTAxMzAtMTYxOS5qcG