CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID help needed....

Zero Knievel

Something odd when I was running the bike to do the fluid changes. I decided to check my lights and when I did the turn signals (with both high/low beams on), the low beam flashed off then on a couple of times every time I did this.

Did not happen with only low beam on.

Did not happen if I had the motor reved to a higher RPM. Only at idle.

Battery was fully charged (new too).

Don't recall this happening before, but I don't know if I ever noticed it before. Can't see my lamps when riding, so I don't know if it always did this or not.

Anyone else experience this? Suggestions on what I should look at?

Only noteworthy bit to add is that the bike had been shut down since November, but as I recall, the ballast should not need long to reach capacity.

There's nothing wrong. The bike just isn't making enough voltage at idle to run both lights and the signal without dipping a bit. In my experience the flickering/flashing is what HIDs do when experiencing a low voltage situation.

+1

Mine do it occasionally when I first start the bike and apply the brake. The voltage to the brake light takes some from the HIDs.

It happens to me too.

When the HID ballast is burning in when you first turn it on, it consumes the most power. Sometimes i even have to blip the throttle to get it to stop cutting out.

Mine does that everyday, the flickering on startup. I just hold it at 2,000rpm for about 10 seconds or so and it gives the HID ballast enough time to get out of maximum drain mode.

Another thing is when you're sitting at a red light at idle, you can turn on the high beam and the HID will flash like a strobe.