CBR1100XX.org Forum

Track Rubber

111lbRC51Rider

I've been running Pilot Power 2CT's

Why? They're cheap, no worries about warmers or heat cycles, they do okay in the rain if they have to and they stick plenty good enough to run at the front of I or back of A.

I need rubber too. I've been looking at the Pirelli Superbike PRO slicks, but they're spendy and I'd be hosed if it rained. Other than that, they fit my criteria above and are supposed to wear like iron (for a track tire). I dunno, I'll probably end up just grabbing another set of 2CT's.

The 2CT is just a standard Power with softer sides- a little more forgiving of my ham-fisted mid-corner mistakes.

I've heard guys faster than me say that the regular Powers are better when pushed as they don't get as greasy when overheated, but at my pace that hasn't been a problem with the 2CTs yet.

I kinda doubt that its going to be blazingly hot for March in Florida, so that would probably work.

Assuming it's over 60 or so it's probably more a matter of pace than ambient temps, but I don't see it being a problem for 95% of us, anyway.

Where's the good buys on these right now? Think we could get a group buy going?

I haven't shopped around much, but I know sportbiketrackgear.com has 'em for $227 shipped.

I kinda doubt that its going to be blazingly hot for March in Florida, so that would probably work.

Assuming it's over 60 or so it's probably more a matter of pace than ambient temps, but I don't see it being a problem for 95% of us, anyway.

Where's the good buys on these right now? Think we could get a group buy going?

I haven't shopped around much, but I know sportbiketrackgear.com has 'em for $227 shipped.

Take a look at Jake Wilson.com too

The last 2 sets of Pilot Powers cost me $179 and $189 respectively, delivered to my door.

That's with a 190 rear and I think the 180 is about $10 cheaper.

There are discount codes available to get $20 off (which I included in the above prices) and there was a $10 discount for buying 2 tires which is no longer available.

Never priced the 2CT's.

Hank

1st 3 years of track days ran the Pirelli Super Corsa Pros which are DOT race tires. Very sticky, but give up after 2 or 3 days. When NESBA switched from selling Pirellis to Dunlops, started using them 209 GPAs also a DOT tire. Seemed to stick just as well but lasted much longer. I ran some take off Dunlop NTEC GPs that came with the bike at the end of last year and they seem to wear even better with no loss of grip. I will probably use these and may try the NTEC slicks which the fast guys are raving about. They are more money but seem to wear like iron with no loss of grip. I will say that as I have become faster I cannot stretch the tires like I did previously, which led to a front 209 GPA putting me on the ground at Barber in turn 14A. If you are only going to be doing a couple of days a year, there is no real need to invest in DOT or slicks, a good track/street tire will serve you well, from a grip and longevity point of view. Jennings is very abrasive from what I hear, I would not run a soft tire there. Although I have a soft 209 rear left over that if I make to Jennings I will probably burn it up.

I spoke with my local guy here in So Florida and he said:

Go with the new Pilot Pure verses the 2CT's. Basically the same dual compound tire with the only difference being the percentage of softer sidewall verses the harder center.

He showed me the chart but can't remember the exact numbers between the two. The Pure have a larger (wider) softer side wall with a narrower harder center.

The standard Pilot Power is not a dual compound tire were the 2Ct and Pure are.

I am going with a new set of Pilot Pure's myself unless the price is considerable cheaper for the 2CT's.

I get pretty good prices on tires here so will post up what I find out on costs for both the Pure and 2CT.

The SV takes a 160 rear and 120 front so will get pricing on the 180 and the 190 rear as well

Slicks , everything else is unnecessary compromise IMHO , we are talking about strictly track rubber , right ?

There are those leftover Michelins , s1200/s1800 , that should work well on 600s in cooler (60s and 70S ) temperatures .

The grip from that soft compounded s1200 ( front ) is simply insane .

They can be found for 250 $ for 120/180 set .

Standard Pilot Powers are rather street tire , they don`t give you good feed back when pushed to the limits of the grip . It is hard to make sense of what that tire is doing in those circumstances .

They sort of start to walk without any logic .

Tom, if a person was running 1:45s at Blackhawk, would you still be recommending slicks?

Not everyone is running at (or anywhere near, really) a pace that slicks become such a clear advantage.

Tom, if a person was running 1:45s at Blackhawk, would you still be recommending slicks?

Yes , on slicks their lap times would immediately drop to 1:25 level . :icon_biggrin:

Seriously ,someone who is a solid I rider can easily use slicks .

The level grip is not the main issue here ,it is a proper feedback . No grooves on slicks ,you can precisely feel what the tire is doing .

On DOT tire those smaller blocks of rubber are constantly flexing due to cornering ,braking ,etc loads and feedback is muted .

It is like listening to the music with white noise in the background .

I`ve been using slicks pretty much from the get go , even back when I was I rider .

The only issue is that without tire warmers unless it is solid 70s and sunny you cannot pull the trigger for the first two laps . Technically they grip well enough after one lap but you need to wait another lap till the tire and the rim is hot or they will cold tear .

Yes , on slicks their lap times would immediately drop to 1:25 level . :icon_biggrin:

Damn, so I need slicks, that's my problem. :icon_lol:

Seriously ,someone who is a solid I rider can easily use slicks .

The level grip is not the main issue here ,it is a proper feedback . No grooves on slicks ,you can precisely feel what the tire is doing .

On DOT tire those smaller blocks of rubber are constantly flexing due to cornering ,braking ,etc loads and feedback is muted .

It is like listening to the music with white noise in the background .

I' ve been using slicks pretty much from the get go , even back when I was I rider .

The only issue is that without tire warmers unless it is solid 70s and sunny you cannot pull the trigger for the first two laps . Technically they grip well enough after one lap but you need to wait another lap till the tire and the rim is hot or they will cold tear .

I don't disagree with any of that, and you certainly know more than me on the subject. But, IMO, too many guys get wrapped up in buying the best/stickiest rubber when they're nowhere near needing it. Not to stroke your ego too much, but you have to remember you're riding at a level most of us only dream about.

I laugh my ass of every time I see some guy pulling his warmers off to go run around doing 1:40's (BHF) in the novice group. His tires are probably cooler coming off the track than going on.

Anyway, I grabbed a set of 003RS's last night on an impulse. I've heard good things and they were cheap. I'll burn those up and then see about what's next.

003s are good shit . I know of couple pretty fast guys who used those and they liked them.

I`ve also witnessed one dude run them to the cords ( steel ) ,guy claimed their performance had not dropped that much .

I`ve also used Bridgestones ,slicks of course :icon_biggrin: , they were excellent .

Bridgestone makes good track rubber these days .

On the SV, I have pretty new Pilot Power on the rear... and will install a matching front in the next month. Excited to try those out, stickiest combo yet for me

On the DRZ, last year had the BT45's (bought my SM rims already with em)... obviously not made for the track, and it showed, both Chris and I had them bouncing/skidding out of the turns. Felt like they couldn't go any farther. SOOOOOO, thinking of the Shinko Stealth 003 and give them a try this year! As controversial as they are :icon_biggrin: . But still on the fence about them...

On the SV, I have pretty new Pilot Power on the rear... and will install a matching front in the next month. Excited to try those out, stickiest combo yet for me

On the DRZ, last year had the BT45's (bought my SM rims already with em)... obviously not made for the track, and it showed, both Chris and I had them bouncing/skidding out of the turns. Felt like they couldn't go any farther. SOOOOOO, thinking of the Shinko Stealth 003 and give them a try this year! As controversial as they are :icon_biggrin: . But still on the fence about them...

I have spent over 4 hours in the last three days researching DOT track tires and just like here in this forum there are losts of different opinions.

The general concensus all seem to agree that the Shinko 003's work well on the street but are the worst of the worst on the track. Them seem to be the first to give up on traction when really pushed in or out of a corner. The best price point but not something to count on when cornering hard on the track.

I have found that the best DOT track tire choices are, and not in any special order:

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT or the Power Pure (Pure is the same compound as the 2CT except the soft side walls are wider on the Pure) Pure is more money

Bridgstone Battlax BT-003 Racing/Street tire

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 or the Sportmax GP-A, like the Michelin's the Q2 is the harder center and narrower soft side walls

Seems the Michelins are on sale right now with the best prices I can find on the 2CT's for my SV.

I think I am going to go with a set of the Pure's if I can get the right price

Trackday store has a deal on Dunlop 209 GPA's. Two rears and a front for $329.......Thoughts?

They are decent and what I ran for the previous 2 years ( See my comments above), although I ran the Med front/Med rear. The deal is a Med front and 2 Soft rears. I have not run the Soft rear at all although I do have one mounted up and will probably burn it up before I go onto either the NTECs or NTEC slicks. They were the AMA spec tire for 08 and 09, replaced by the 211 GPA last year. I was getting 4-6 days out of a set at high I group pace. The front that put me on my ass last year probably had 6 days on it. The problem was I did not account for the faster pace I was at in A group. Warmers are recommended but not required. If you don't have warmers use the 1st couple of laps to get some temp in them. The rear is a 190, they do not come in a 180. They are engineered to work on a 5.5 rim, which is what I had on the 600 and have on the 750. Suspension setup is needed as they have a tendency to cold tear if your suspension is not right and even then a little tearing can be observed when you have a good setup.