CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake Pads

Chewtoy

This question must have been asked and answered before, but it's almost 2011, so an update wouldn't hurt.

So, what's the best pad for your basic performance street rider. Priorities are

1: Performance under typical street usage (i.e. cold)

2: Easy on rotor$.

3: Dust (as in less is better)

4: Long life

5: Price

I see a lot of different pads, but since there is no way to get info on relevant testing, you all are the best place to come to.

What do you think?

Thanks!

EBC HH.

There are better pads (I've become partial to Vesrah RJLs), but for your criteria, the EBC are a perfect fit.

How about sharing a bit of knowledge on brake pads?

I've used std Honda and Carbon Lorraine SBK5's.

The std (sintered metallic) were dust free while the SBK's got the rims filthy in a day.

Stopping power was very similar.

That's all I got...

My experience isn't all that varied- OEM stuff from all the big four- usually not all that great initial bite, but nice and linear. Nice, safe stuff that probably keeps lawsuits from newbies locking the brakes to a minimum.

EBC HHs- much more initial bite, but not as linear, IMO. More pressure doesn't seem to get as much as you'd think based on that initial bite. They also get a little wooden when hot, but I only ran into that at the track, can't see it being a problem on the street.

I ran one set of Carbon Lorraines on the XX, found them similar to the EBC but more expensive. I'm not sure exactly what model they were, sorry.

The RJLs have serious initial bite and keep on grabbing as you up the pressure. They have the potential to get a less experienced rider in trouble in a panic stop situation. I've experienced zero fade with them at the track- though I am not particularly hard on the brakes, quite the opposite. They're also pretty pricey.

I've never really paid much attention to the dust factor.

My experience isn't all that varied- OEM stuff from all the big four- usually not all that great initial bite, but nice and linear. Nice, safe stuff that probably keeps lawsuits from newbies locking the brakes to a minimum.

EBC HHs- much more initial bite, but not as linear, IMO. More pressure doesn't seem to get as much as you'd think based on that initial bite. They also get a little wooden when hot, but I only ran into that at the track, can't see it being a problem on the street.

I ran one set of Carbon Lorraines on the XX, found them similar to the EBC but more expensive. I'm not sure exactly what model they were, sorry.

The RJLs have serious initial bite and keep on grabbing as you up the pressure. They have the potential to get a less experienced rider in trouble in a panic stop situation. I've experienced zero fade with them at the track- though I am not particularly hard on the brakes, quite the opposite. They're also pretty pricey.

I've never really paid much attention to the dust factor.

Dust is sure a factor with Gold Carrazzeria's...LOL

I agree with you description of the EBC HH's...don't know if I'd go there again.

Have you ever used DPR's (their race pad)? I've used them on a number of Hi-Perf Suz Bandits and found them to be fabulous in all respects...just not available for the BB.

Any idea of brake life on the street with the RJL's or how they operate when cool, as in street riding?

I have a friend in England doing Brembo caliper conversion kits for the BB but it's expensive and I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks for your input...Hank

Never tried the DPRs.

The RJLs would perform fine on the street, they don't need a lot of heat. Wear is a harder call, as I've never run them on street bike. I've got maybe 8 days (~1500 miles?) on my current set and they're about half gone. They're obviously going to last a lot longer on a street bike, but how much longer, I don't know.

" I've got maybe 8 days (~1500 miles?) on my current set and they're about half gone. " :icon_shocked:

YMMV,I`m lucky to see 3 days from any set of brake pads on the race track,,,,,,,,,,,Road America ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fresh pads in the morning please.

New EBC`s EPFA I think is little more consistent then RJLs,but Versah are still excellent.

On the street I`ve been running EBC HH since 4 B.C. , very easy on rotors and wallet , more then adequate for that kind of environment.

Good mileage too.

" I've got maybe 8 days (~1500 miles?) on my current set and they're about half gone. " :icon_shocked:

YMMV,I`m lucky to see 3 days from any set of brake pads on the race track,,,,,,,,,,,Road America ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fresh pads in the morning please.

That, my friend, is the difference between the middle of I and the front of A. I bet you go through tires faster, too. :icon_wink:

I ran EBC HH's on most of my bikes till I found the seller Sixity on eBay, he sells a complete sets of sintered metal pads for ~$45 to your door. I now have them on both my Hayabusa & my VFR800 and I absolutely can not tell the difference from when I was running EBC HH's.

Of course I go to find a link and all he has up right now are Kevlar/Organic and Ceramic/Composite pads for the XX.

Redbird..........I too switched to the Vesrah RJL's this year on the track. I absolutely love them in that environment. On my street bikes, which I do not really ride agressiveley, the stock binders are OK for me.