CBR1100XX.org Forum

More power - Project XXX

smhammen

Hey everyone, I'm planning on using a 99' Blackbird engine for my next project, a small 2 seater exo-skeleton car...."big go-kart" and I'm wondering what you guys would suggest to upgrade to get the most power out the stock engine. The intake and exhaust will be custom so this area is wide open. The engine has been removed from the bike so now is a good time to work on it. Like most people I'm looking for the most bang for my buck, so let's say a budget of $1000.

Is 200 hp obtainable?.....ok it took me 5 minutes to figure out this is not realistic...anyway, what is obtainable?

Oh yeah, I do plan on making the car street legal so mufflers of some sort will be needed.

Thanks!

-Steve

Detroit,MI

The plan would be to make it street legal. The kit is street legal in Europe and they are more strict than the US so it shouldn't be a problem.

MI like all states has "assembled cars" rules that you need to meet in order to register the vehicle for street use.

I've also gone to a few auto-cross events and that would be a blast with something like this.

Unless you're drag racing, nitrous won't get you what you want. Flowing the heads and a big bore kit won't happen under $1000. A turbo won't happen under $5000. Sell the Blackbird engine, add that money to your $1000 and buy a Hayabusa or ZX14 engine and a Power Commander.

I've been thinking about building a car but now I'm leaning towards a kit car. I like this one the best. If not this one, then something similar.

The car w/engine will be around 1200 lbs.

Looks a lot like the Ariel Atom - if you have build plans for this I'd be keen to take a look.

Yes it's similar to the Atom, the difference is the Atom is only sold as a completed car, $50k+. This can be bought as a turn-key car at half that price or in kit form, which is what I'm thinking. There are no build plans that can be bought, only the kit or turn-key car. I have a bunch of questions into the US rep for this kit and waiting to hear back.

Hayabusa or ZX14 are both temping but I have the Blackbird engine standing by in my garage already.

Cool project.

The XX motor is great if you want something with bullet proof reliability.

The occasional shot of giggle gas would be fun in that project. If you were looking for consistent high HP, the guys above me are right. You would be thrilled with stock motor performance and reliability, and it sounds like you have all ready secured a motor. Save your money and invest it in suspension and bling paint job.