CBR1100XX.org Forum

Valve clearances.

Zero Knievel

I suppose at 70K+ it's time to have it done. I am debating taking the bike to a mechanic who is trustworthy and paying for it to be done or do it myself.

If I do it myself, what's needed to do the job? Parts (e.g., gaskets) that need to be replaced?

Checking them is easy. Like Stan said, adjusting them is a little more involved.

If you adjust them yourself, you'll need shims, but you won't know which shims until you take it apart. Valve cover gasket is rubber and re-usable.

How often is adjustment needed?

If I trust the job to a competent mechanic, what would be a fair price to expect him to ask to do the job (keep in mind I'll strip the bike down so he doesn't have to do all that then put it back together....just focusing on the motor)?

There's been reports of bikes with 70k plus needing no adjustment and there's been others that have needed adjustment at under 30k. I had two exhaust valves and one intake out of spec at 42k. The general consensus is they can go a very long time, but not forever.

I'd suggest you check them yourself, it's easy enough. If you've got some out of spec, button it up and send it to your guy. If they're all in spec you've spent an afternoon instead of hundreds of dollars. Yeah, it's gambling with a bit of your time, but it may save you some money.

Yeah I got a (my 1st) "major service" @~80 000km's done by a trusted local mobile mechanic and he did brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed and new coolant, greased all the moving points, did and oil/filter change and checked the carbs balance as well as checking the shims and it cost me $360, all were within spec after 48 000km (that I've put on the bike) :icon_biggrin: He told me it wouldn't have cost any more to do the shims as he knows they rarely need it and factors it into the price :icon_think: He also redid the vacuum hoses on my Scottoiler as I had just tapped into the vacuum line at the tank and he reckoned the fitting into the head was better and would affect the fuel tap :icon_think: