CBR1100XX.org Forum

Digital Dash Conversion for a 99 Bird

XXCited

I am new to posting on the site although I have been reading the site for a long time. I have a 99 Bird (the fast one) with a Corbin GF carbon fiber seat and a Erion CF exhaust. I would like to know what it would take to switch to the new dash. I searched for specifics on the site but could not find any details on the installation. I know that the dash, front wiring harness and coolant sensor need to be changed to an '01 model. Has anyone done it? Can you give me some details. Also any idea of cost?

I have a '97XX and I installed a digital dash from a 2000 model. everything but the temp works as it is a totally different size sending unit that does not come close to fitting my '97. It's a wiring chore and takes quite a bit of time. Good luck.

I also got my digital dash from Elixxir...he can provide some assistance.

Rich

StPeteXX

Does anyone have the details on what wires need to be changed to make the change on a '99 - to a '01? I thought it was just one wire needed to be switched if you use a 2001 harnes and 2001 dash. Can MiDNiTXX or Elixxir :???:

• 2 weeks later...

I had the directions and diagram from Elixxir to do the digital swap on my '97. My dealer did the installation for me and as it turned out, the wiring harness on the '97 was completely different than what was on the digital dash. Each wire had to be tested one at a time. Took about 4-6 hours for install but they only charged me for 1.5 hrs. The temp sending unit isn't even close to fitting on a '97 either. Good luck on it. You will love it once it is done. Oh, and if you have a Dyna ingnition system, that is another nightmare to get the tach to work, but my dealer got it figured out with serious help from Dyna.

Rich

StPeteXX

Thanks for all of the replies. Is there a difference what's involved for the '99 & newer bikes from the '97/98 models? In other words, is the conversion easier on the '99? I thought I read somewhere that on the '99 you only need to use a '01 wiring harness, switch the position of one wire and get a newer coolant sensor. But I can't seem to find out which wire...

Ok this worries me. I have triple checked my wire harness and they match up perfectly (00) except for the extra wire. I can't recall switching a wire back when I did the install! Makes me nervous to reassemble the front end now :) The dash turns on and the temp and speedo start up and count to 0 and the fuel light flashes (no tank installed).

I will have a panel available in the very near future off of a 2003. P.M. me if interested.

However it is a canadian bike. I dont know if there is any differences. You will have to do the research.

Warren

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the Canadian & US models for the digital dash? I thought there was a toggle switch to change between kph & mph but Warren said that he thinks the odometer stays in km. - Where could I find out?

how do u all differentiate a us bird fr a canadian bird? wic is better? r there ay other bird besides e 2?

1. The logo isn't "XX", its "XX ehh?"

2. 1/2 the owners guide is in french, 1/2 in english, and some side notes in an unknown language.

3. The front wheel has a ski on it and the back has tracks.

4. It comes with a rack for your hockey stick and snow shoes.

So the US model is probably faster except on the slopes.