CBR1100XX.org Forum

fork tube height?

Aurora

This is what Hobie posted:

Put the forks back on the bike

21) Put the fork tube back in the bike. Raise it up until it's 1.5 inches (I will dig up my manual, as listed above, but that's what I remember) from the bottom of the fork cap to the top of the triple tree. Tighen down up at the top tree first (because it's easy to get to) but don't forget to tighten the 14 mm bolt on the lower tree, too.

Looking at the diagram in the Honda manual it looks as if the the measurement is from the top of the triple clamp to the top of the fork cap?

Please chime in with info and thoughts.

What are you trying to do ? Yes it is about 1.5 inches,but it not the simplest way to reassemble front end.There is no need to measure anything.

Pu the fork into triple tree,but don`t tight up anything,put the clip-on on the fork,replace those little circlips on the top of the fork,let the fork slide down till it hits the circlip,torque the clip-on, now let the fork slide down till clip-on hits the upper triple tree.That is it.No need to measure anything as long as you want to ride stock front ride height.

Don`t torque lower triple tree till you have the front wheel back on the bike.

Put everything back on the bike but don`t tighten lower triple tree and axle holder on the left fork.Take the bike off the center stand.Pump the front suspension couple of time really good.Put the bike back on the center stand,torque lower triple tree and axle holder.

What are you trying to do ? Yes it is about 1.5 inches,but it not the simplest way to reassemble front end.There is no need to measure anything.

Pu the fork into triple tree,but don`t tight up anything,put the clip-on on the fork,replace those little circlips on the top of the fork,let the fork slide down till it hits the circlip,torque the clip-on, now let the fork slide down till clip-on hits the upper triple tree.That is it.No need to measure anything as long as you want to ride stock front ride height.

Don`t torque lower triple tree till you have the front wheel back on the bike.

Put everything back on the bike but don`t tighten lower triple tree and axle holder on the left fork.Take the bike off the center stand.Pump the front suspension couple of time really good.Put the bike back on the center stand,torque lower triple tree and axle holder.

Thx

My 98 manual says 39mm from the top of the fork leg to the top triple clamp, the later manual on here has a pic which looks like it shows the measurement to the top of the fork cap :icon_confused:

+1

Maybe on other bikes that leave some room for play, but the XX everything is so packed in tight that you don't have any guess work. It fits or it doesn't, and if you have extra space, something's not right.

When I put in the VFR bars, I had to tap the triple tree down 1/8" so the deeper clamps on the bars would clear the circlip groove on the tubes.

When I fitted my VFR bars they were a lot closer to the circlip (from memory only about 2mm clearance as opposed to 5mm odd) than the std bars but there was still enough room to fit them on at the height of 39mm as per the manual :icon_think: