CBR1100XX.org Forum

Grip Adhesive?

BigMig

Team XX,

I'm attaching Dual Star heaters to my bars and I don't know what's the preferred adhesive to use to bind my new grips (BMW sport) to the barsw dual star heaters. I guess there's a chance I'll eventually want to change grips and not destroy the heaters. Maybe I shouldn't worry about that.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

You don't really to slather on much if any adhesive to get the job done (if at all).

I would recommend you install a piece of heat shrink tubing on the clutch side bar underneath the heating element, otherwise the heat generated by the element will end up migrating to the clip on and the two bars will be two different temperatures. You can also clean the mold release agent from inside the grips to maximize their grip. Finally, a light coating of hair spray or spray trim adhesive is all you need if you want to use something to add a bit more stick to the job (probably not necessary). The only caveat is to install the grips quickly in their final position as you won't have much time to do it right before the adhesive sets up.

Finally, a light coating of hair spray or spray trim adhesive is all you need if you want to use something to add a bit more stick to the job (probably not necessary). The only caveat is to install the grips quickly in their final position as you won't have much time to do it right before the adhesive sets up.

Yeah I usually use hair spray or styling mouse and it works well :icon_surprised:

styling mouse? I'm hair challenged, bro!

Thanks, and thanks also to Al.

I ended up doing the hot water soak of the new grip, followed by a tiny amount of gorilla glue pn the dual star. Seems to be ok. Will know in the AM.

Mike