CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacing HID kit / Remove front cowl .. HELP !

StPeteXX

Hello long time friends!! It's been forever since I've posted. Getting married, kids and working waaay too much has taken it's toll ! :icon_whistle:

Anyways... I've gotten back into ridding the XX again. I think I have put 1500 miles on it in the last 3 years, maybe less.

Here's an issues I'm having. The low beam HID that Rick (In Clearwater, forget his username) installed for me probably 5 years ago is finally giving up the ghost. It's strobing like crazy which typically means the ballast is going. I ordered a new DDM kit in 5k flavor.

I don't recall how he removed the front cowl. I am not the most mechanically inclined person and I am certainly the first one to admit it. I'll get frustrated within the first 10 minutes and throw everything out into the street :-). Are there any photos of step by step process of removing front cowl or just some simple tips that I can print out?

By the way, the DDM kits come with two bulbs/ballasts if anyone wants to split the cost. It was $46 shipped so I guess $25 shipped to you would be fair?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Sorry for being such a stranger for way too long. Hope to be posting a lot more and hopefully see you all at another FUXXT event (does Rick still host them?)

Rich

Once you have all the other plastics off (including the windscreen), you take off the mirrors (2 bolts each). That's what holds the front cowl in place.

Careful trying to put it all back together, though. Getting the two air intake ducts to stay in place while you position the front cowl back up takes about 5 arms. :icon_rolleyes:

Hello long time friends!! It's been forever since I've posted. Getting married, kids and working waaay too much has taken it's toll ! :icon_whistle:

Anyways... I've gotten back into ridding the XX again. I think I have put 1500 miles on it in the last 3 years, maybe less.

Here's an issues I'm having. The low beam HID that Rick (In Clearwater, forget his username) installed for me probably 5 years ago is finally giving up the ghost. It's strobing like crazy which typically means the ballast is going. I ordered a new DDM kit in 5k flavor.

I don't recall how he removed the front cowl. I am not the most mechanically inclined person and I am certainly the first one to admit it. I'll get frustrated within the first 10 minutes and throw everything out into the street :-). Are there any photos of step by step process of removing front cowl or just some simple tips that I can print out?

By the way, the DDM kits come with two bulbs/ballasts if anyone wants to split the cost. It was $46 shipped so I guess $25 shipped to you would be fair?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Sorry for being such a stranger for way too long. Hope to be posting a lot more and hopefully see you all at another FUXXT event (does Rick still host them?)

Rich

The easiest way, if your not that used to taking it apart is.

Remove the two nearest (to the Tank) nuts and bolts on both sides of the windshield

Remove the dash surrounds. This will reveal the bolts, plastic buttons that hold the inside of the lower cowl to the top cowl.

Remove lower cowls, there are two of the Plastic buttons on each side behind the front wheel that join the cowl to the Vee Cowl.

There are two more plastic buttons underneath where the two lower cowls come together. don't forget the bolt behind the side stand.

There are two bolts at the bottom of the Vee cowl (accessible from the front of the bike) that are secured to the lower cowls

There are two buttons on each side of the Vee cowl that secure the side cowls to it.

Remove the two remaining dash / tank surrounds. There should be plastic buttons securing these to the frame.

Remove the windshield, I am not sure if you have to do this, I always have. Be careful with the rubber nut holders on the windshield they are fuckers for getting lost.

Remove the mirrors.

The front cowl will be now be held on by the Mirror mounting points just slightly on one side pull the fairing away from this mount point and the cowl is free.

Don't forget to unplug the Headlights before walking away with the Cowl.

I think I remembered everything.

good luck!!!!

2 cents

mack

Holy fucking shit! Look who's back.

Welcome back.

I wasn't sure if you all would remember me or not :icon_whistle: I'll see if I can dig up any hot chicks posing on the XX to post up :icon_evilgrin:

SPEED99 has graciously offered to help me out like he did the first time. I'll get frustrated in about 2 seconds and just walk away and drink a beer or 3.

So when you fall off the face of the earth, is it just one giant loop to get back?

Yep, it's just one giant loop!! The journey wasn't the greatest, but I made it out alive :icon_biggrin:

I'm back.. think I may have some photos to share :icon_evilgrin:

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Oh yeah, and the baby we were expecting.... He's turning 4 on 9/25. :icon_whistle:

Rich

FWIW, you shouldn't have to pull the nose cone to do the HIDs. (Unless your old ballasts were stashed way up in there) During my recent install of the much smaller DDM kits I was able to do the install by just pulling the tank and cluster surrounds.

I pulled the windscreen, the instrument surround covers and the instrument cluster. It was easy to install the ballast behind the cluster.

While your at it, let Rob detail the bike for you. :icon_whistle:

You have been missed. And your posts too. :icon_twisted:

Let Rick talk you into RacerXX3. It's not that far, and a whole lot of fun.

WELCOME BACK