CBR1100XX.org Forum

I just ate pavement...

later2day

I just biffed it on the highway at approximately 55mph. Went down on the left side and am concerned that the bike will be totaled by the insurance company. I did get back on her and rode another 1500 or so miles before taking her to the dealership for an estimate. $4500 and change was the estimate so I'm looking at some cost saving alternatives that may be out there. I've see a thread on after market plastic, but it was inconclusive. Has anyone had any luck with good stuff off of Ebay or any other service? If so, I'm definitely looking for some reviews! Lord knows that I cannot replace my 01 Red XX for one that has been as well maintained as mine.

Thanks in advance guys, I REALLY appreciate it!

I just biffed it on the highway at approximately 55mph. Went down on the left side and am concerned that the bike will be totaled by the insurance company. I did get back on her and rode another 1500 or so miles before taking her to the dealership for an estimate. $4500 and change was the estimate so I'm looking at some cost saving alternatives that may be out there. I've see a thread on after market plastic, but it was inconclusive. Has anyone had any luck with good stuff off of Ebay or any other service? If so, I'm definitely looking for some reviews! Lord knows that I cannot replace my 01 Red XX for one that has been as well maintained as mine.

1. Is the lion share of your damage plastics?

2. If you can't find good replacement parts for the red XX, Bob at Empire GP (Google it) can repair and paint plastics for a fraction of replacing them.

1. Is the lion share of your damage plastics?

2. If you can't find good replacement parts for the red XX, Bob at Empire GP (Google it) can repair and paint plastics for a fraction of replacing them.

Sorry to hear of your off.

I agree with Mike on Bob at Empire GP. Even if you have a hole or some missing pieces Bob can use other plastics and make yours hole again... He is in NY so you would have to ship to him and pay for the return but he does great work and will be cheaper than new plastics. On the aftermarket plastics I normally hear 50/50 on their fit and finish.. most problems being fitment, holes not lined up and paint not all that great.

www.empiregp.com

On the aftermarket plastics I normally hear 50/50 on their fit and finish.. most problems being fitment, holes not lined up and paint not all that great.

I have aftermarket plastic on my XX and the fit wasn';t as bad as the fact that the panels are not smooth - they surface was rippled when I got them to the point where I had to use bondo/filler and loads of sanding to get a reasonable profile. In retrospect, original or damaged/repaired would have been a smarter move (this is valid advice from a certified CRASHER) as the time spent will never be recovered and the fucking bondo chips like shit - I have to repaint sometime soon as the vibration of riding has cracked a couple sections of bondo where it was kinda thick.

At least now my XX can go from a dark metallic grey Back To Black. :icon_twisted:

My Hayabusa came with Hong Kong fairings and I was happy enough with the quality that I have actually ordered replacement side panels for the busa (mine are fairly scratched) and new side and front fairings for the Blackbird. As far as I'm concerned, the fit is close enough, the finish is not quite OEM, but unless you keep your bike in showroom condition, it's going to get nicks and scratches sooner or later, and with a few of those, all fairings start looking the same.

Here are a set of photos that the manufacturer sent me of the fairings that they are making for me. NOTE that I specifically DIDN'T want the logos (otherwise that would have been under the clear coat. Also, the marks that you see next to the right mirror mount are a reflection.

XX Fairings

These are the busa fairings if you are intrested:

Busa Fairings

These are the current fairings on the busa:

Busa HK fairings

My Hayabusa came with Hong Kong fairings and I was happy enough with the quality that I have actually ordered replacement side panels for the Busa (mine are fairly scratched) and new side and front fairings for the Blackbird. As far as I'm concerned, the fit is close enough, the finish is not quite OEM, but unless you keep your bike in showroom condition, it's going to get nicks and scratches sooner or later, and with a few of those, all fairings start looking the same.

Posted in the other thread but will here too - Do you have that email addy? I was looking at getting some of those but don't need to now after my crash because they repainted all the front cowling's and mirrors BUT a few guys have brought these up on the local forum and it's always good to know which ones have a good rep as they do seem to be a bit hit and miss in regards quality and fit :icon_confused:

How close is the colour to the OEM silver? When I was looking the ones that I think were supposed to be TITANIUM were a bit silver looking :icon_think: May also look at getting just a tail cowl at some stage as the current one has a few cracks :icon_think:

I really appreciate the feedback, thanks guys!

The insurance company just came back and they deemed my bird a total loss. OK, after the first moment of some choice expletives directed at the insurance company (Mentally, not verbally!) I calmly told the adjuster that I had no interest in letting her go to salvage. After all was said and done it came down to them giving me $3600.00 after they had taken out the deductible and the money they would have gotten from salvage. Below is the bulk of the damage done to her in the accident. I just attached a picture of the damage done to her in the spill.

I had a repair estimate done at the dealership and have found that for $2600.00 I can get the OEM pieces (nosecone, lower left fairing, clutch cover, and left mirror assembly) plus the other things that I want to have replaced like the heated handgrips, Throttlemeister bar ends, and a replacement Givi E360 saddle bag. All the labor can be done by me, so that will save some cash as well. Looks like I will not need Hong Kong replacements after all, and I'm really happy for that!

The insurance company just came back and they deemed my bird a total loss. OK, after the first moment of some choice expletives directed at the insurance company (Mentally, not verbally!) I calmly told the adjuster that I had no interest in letting her go to salvage. After all was said and done it came down to them giving me $3600.00 after they had taken out the deductible and the money they would have gotten from salvage. Below is the bulk of the damage done to her in the accident. I just attached a picture of the damage done to her in the spill.

I had a repair estimate done at the dealership and have found that for $2600.00 I can get the OEM pieces (nosecone, lower left fairing, clutch cover, and left mirror assembly) plus the other things that I want to have replaced like the heated handgrips, Throttlemeister bar ends, and a replacement Givi E360 saddle bag. All the labor can be done by me, so that will save some cash as well. Looks like I will not need Hong Kong replacements after all, and I'm really happy for that!

Looking at the damage on her, it's 1. Hard to believe she hit the ground at 55mph, and 2. Considered a total loss by the insurance company.

post-2961-1283983464.jpg

Looking at the damage on her, it's 1. Hard to believe she hit the ground at 55mph, and 2. Considered a total loss by the insurance company.

2600 $ :icon_eek: :icon_eek: ,you know,you could repaint entire bike ( it looks like none of the plastics are actually broken) and colour match/paint those plastic fugly GIVIs for ,I guess something around 1k.

Just giving you and idea,it is your money after all.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, the nosecone was broken in a couple of places actually, and ground down quite a bit as well. That and there was quite a bit ground on the front fender, side cowling, and the left mirror. It was a LOT easier to just replace the plastic completely. Insurance company provided the cash, so why not. I wasn't looking for a pay day, I just wanted her to be as pretty as she was before she experienced gravity.

2600 $ :icon_eek: :icon_eek: ,you know,you could repaint entire bike ( it looks like none of the plastics are actually broken) and colour match/paint those plastic fugly Givi's for ,I guess something around 1k.

Wow I would have been stoked to have gotten my Bird repaired for $2600 :icon_rolleyes:

I'm still waiting to get her back again as he went int to fix some of the fuckups the dealer did with the repairs BUT from what I can see, they have -

Replaced the:

Stator Cover

LH Mirror Housing (AFAIK mirror and indicator etc was OK)

LH Footpeg Assembly (heel guard/peg/rubber etc - the whole lot)

LH exhaust can

LH VFR bar

Both HVMP Extra heavy bar ends.

Repainted:

Nose Cowl

LH & RH Lower Cowls

LH? (may be OEM Ti but looks like painted) & RH mirror housings

Front Fender

For that I think the quote to the insurer was ~$4600AUD :icon_surprised:

The original quote they gave they included the RH exhaust can (not sure what else) and that would have been ~$5500AUD :icon_eek:

It was insured for $6600 and if they did the 1st quote would have written the bike off :icon_wall:

Now I have had to take the bike back in because the dealer fucked up and a) put a std XX clipon on the LH side with the VFR on the RH side :icon_wall: Ordered in std bar ends not the HVMP ones :icon_nono:

AND to top it off somehow managed to put 3 small dents in the front of the tank :icon_wall:

It's all getting fixed BUT so far it has been over 3 months since the accident :icon_mad: Fucking incompetent pricks :icon_evil:

2600 $ :icon_eek: :icon_eek: ,you know,you could repaint entire bike ( it looks like none of the plastics are actually broken) and colour match/paint those plastic fugly Givi's for ,I guess something around 1k.

Wow I would have been stoked to have gotten my Bird repaired for $2600 :icon_rolleyes:

I'm still waiting to get her back again as he went int to fix some of the fuckups the dealer did with the repairs BUT from what I can see, they have -

Replaced the:

Stator Cover

LH Mirror Housing (AFAIK mirror and indicator etc was OK)

LH Footpeg Assembly (heel guard/peg/rubber etc - the whole lot)

LH exhaust can

LH VFR bar

Both HVMP Extra heavy bar ends.

Repainted:

Nose Cowl

LH & RH Lower Cowls

LH? (may be OEM Ti but looks like painted) & RH mirror housings

Front Fender

For that I think the quote to the insurer was ~$4600AUD :icon_surprised:

The original quote they gave they included the RH exhaust can (not sure what else) and that would have been ~$5500AUD :icon_eek:

It was insured for $6600 and if they did the 1st quote would have written the bike off :icon_wall:

Now I have had to take the bike back in because the dealer fucked up and a) put a std XX clipon on the LH side with the VFR on the RH side :icon_wall: Ordered in std bar ends not the HVMP ones :icon_nono:

AND to top it off somehow managed to put 3 small dents in the front of the tank :icon_wall:

It's all getting fixed BUT so far it has been over 3 months since the accident :icon_mad: Fucking incompetent pricks :icon_evil:

you gotta wonder at the quality of work if they put on a std handle bar nexxt to a VFr one? did they not notice? they think you have one short arm? wtf..........you like turning in one direction?

you gotta wonder at the quality of work if they put on a std handle bar nexxt to a VFR one? did they not notice? they think you have one short arm? wtf..........you like turning in one direction?

Yeah especially when I pointed it out to the service manager and he had to take a "close" look to see what I was getting at :icon_rolleyes: Even my missus picked it up pretty much straight away :icon_surprised:

Believe me I'm going over it with a fine tooth comb when (If :icon_confused: ) I get it, was supposed to be today BUT when I rang they said the tank had a slight run under the clear and had been sent back to the painters, so looks like Thursday :icon_wall:

When I had my Illinois '97 XX redone, it was cheaper to buy new Honda oem plastic online than to have it repainted. I did have the tank repainted though. And when it was done, the bike looked like new. I would NOT buy my parts from the dealer!!