CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bridgestone BT-023GTs

RedEye

Anyone using them? I need a new rear tire to replace the BT-021 that came with the bike. The 023 is supposed to last 30% longer than the 021, and the GT flavour is supposed to resist the accelerated wear from use on heavy sports-touring bikes. Reviews seem favourable but I haven't come across any reports yet by anyone who's put enough miles on them to comment on the extended treadwear claim.

Anyone using them? I need a new rear tire to replace the BT-021 that came with the bike. The 023 is supposed to last 30% longer than the 021, and the GT flavour is supposed to resist the accelerated wear from use on heavy sports-touring bikes. Reviews seem favourable but I haven't come across any reports yet by anyone who's put enough miles on them to comment on the extended treadwear claim.

buddy told me about them the other week. We looked them up and checked them out. I will wait till I hear what the masses have to say about them.

Extra mileage would be nice but I am not willing to sacrifice any grip. Tires are cheaper than body work, and ER trips. Will just keep running what I love and works for me.

Forget about the GT for the BB. It is far too stiff.....

I sold a set to a BB-rider a few weeks ago. He insisted (against my advice) on the GT's.

He replaced them last week by the tyres I originally suggested to him (Dunlop Roadsmarts), and now he's happy again (told you so...).

The bike was much too bumpy, and could not give enough grip on bumpy roads.

There you have it, folks!

If you want extended mileage, you have to be willing to give up some grip, ride quality, and/or handling.

I love the way a new set of tires feels, so I don't mind changing them a little more often.

(And what Krypt Keeper said.)

Forget about the GT for the BB. It is far too stiff.....

I sold a set to a BB-rider a few weeks ago. He insisted (against my advice) on the GT's.

He replaced them last week by the tyres I originally suggested to him (Dunlop Roadsmarts), and now he's happy again (told you so...).

The bike was much too bumpy, and could not give enough grip on bumpy roads.

+1

My 'bird came with Bridgestone, and I hated it.

The rear slipped when downshifting hard. :icon_shocked: Twice...

If it was cold and wet I would expect it, but not on a hot sunny day.

Changed them to Roadsmart before they showed any wear at all.

Never again BT's.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread is the only place I've ever seen anyone preferring Dunlops for the Bird . . . :icon_twisted:

Anyhoo, people seem to really like the non-GT 023. I was going to order one, then found a better price on a PR2 so I was about to order that instead . . . then found that sometime on my last ride the cords started showing through on my current tire. :icon_redface: So to keep my Bird on the road I'll just swap the nearly new BT-021 rear from my gf's Katana, she won't be riding it any more this year anyway. And by the time my front 021 dies of premature cupping early next spring, the verdict will be in on the longevity of the 023 front tire on, ummmm, bikes of substance.

• 1 month later...
I think this thread is the only place I've ever seen anyone preferring Dunlops for the Bird . . . :icon_twisted:

Anyhoo, people seem to really like the non-GT 023. I was going to order one, then found a better price on a PR2 so I was about to order that instead . . . then found that sometime on my last ride the cords started showing through on my current tire. :icon_redface: So to keep my Bird on the road I'll just swap the nearly new BT-021 rear from my gf's Katana, she won't be riding it any more this year anyway. And by the time my front 021 dies of premature cupping early next spring, the verdict will be in on the longevity of the 023 front tire on, ummmm, bikes of substance.

In that case you've never looked across the pond. Bridgestone is considered (at least here in Europe) to sell mediocre tyres the last 10 years....... Dunlop is making a big comeback!

BT 57s the bike came with were pretty good. I've read nothing but BAD things about the 23GTs. Dunlops I've always liked. Except for the 208. 207, Qualifiers and Q2 are good . Next spring I'm going with Q2 front and roadsmart rear. Mr. Google can tell you all about it. I've been down twice once on the track, once on the road. Not on the XX. Both with Michelins. So no matter how much anyone raves about them, not for me. Pirellis, I've run both Diablo and diablo stradas. Ok. Safe choice but nothing to write home about.

And by the time my front 021 dies of premature cupping early next spring,

So the 21 cupped on the front? I have a 014 on front that is about bald and it did not cup (one of the first). I have a 021 on the rear. I was thinking of putting a 016 on front to maybe wear with the rear and be sticky. Thoughts?

BTW-sorry for high jack.

When I bought my XX the seller said the front 021 was brand new. Since then I've put about 4000 km on it (mostly highway commuting) and it's cupped badly. Tomorrow I'm going on one last 600-700km road trip and that'll be the end of it. The roads are heavily frosted in the mornings now and there's (more) snow in the forecast for Monday so after this weekend I'll probably be putting the bike away for the winter. I have a nice Diablo from a parts bike I'll be putting on the front.

Oh, and my 021 rear finally started showing the cords a few weeks back so I had to replace it. I have no idea how many kms were on it, but it was just starting to show the wear bars when I got it, and it lasted another 4000 km. No complaints about the tire, but with so many others I'd like to try I wouldn't get another one unless it was super cheap. I didn't want to buy a new tire just before the end of the season so I got a used Qualifier locally with about 2/3 tread left for fifty bucks to get me by.