CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hydraulic clutch problem

TPXX

What would cause the hydraulic clutch to not disengage when the bike is cold ie very hard to shift, but once the bike warms up a little, just a mile or two of riding it begins to shift normally?

My 2 cents....water in the line/fluid. Clutch fluid should not be affected by temperature.

If not that, the only thing that really changes is oil temp, but how that should matter I don't know. Is it hard to shift as if the clutch does not feel fully engaged or just harder to move the lever? If you're pulling in the clutch the former should not be an issue.

What would cause the hydraulic clutch to not disengage when the bike is cold ie very hard to shift, but once the bike warms up a little, just a mile or two of riding it begins to shift normally?

My 2 cents....water in the line/fluid. Clutch fluid should not be affected by temperature.

If not that, the only thing that really changes is oil temp, but how that should matter I don't know. Is it hard to shift as if the clutch does not feel fully engaged or just harder to move the lever? If you're pulling in the clutch the former should not be an issue.

Because it changes the viscosity, and the clutch drag with it.

Seriously doubt the clutch fluid is an issue.

As long as the clutch fluid has been properly bled, I doubt that`s the issue. My FJ12 did the same thing. Sits overnight and the plates stick together. When you pull the clutch lever in you`re pulling the pressure plate off the clutch stack but you`re not separating the plates. When you say hard to find gear are you meaning it goes in with a hard clunk or just won`t go in?

Ray