CBR1100XX.org Forum

Minimum tire tread depth

Zero Knievel

On my back tire, I always know when it's time to replace....when the center strip is bald.

Front tire is trickier. I don't want to see any part go bald as by that point you're front wheel traction is compromised, but I don't think my front tire has any tire wear indicators.

Long ago, for cars, they said to use a penny. If the tread didn't reach Lincoln's head, your tires were due for replacement.

Any similar trick to easily check tread wear on the front tire?

I look at thread depth

if the lowest place is less than 1/16" I wouldn't plan going more than 500 or so miles on them, if I plan on using them mostly for the twisties then I know wear will be quicker.

my front normally wears the sides out first and the rear always gets the center burned out with sides about 3/4's the way gone.

my BT016's I am running now are both done.. triple compound rear, dual front. amazing grip, and feel great. If your not an aggressive rider they should last you a while. I tend to be hard on tires.

I look at thread depth

if the lowest place is less than 1/16" I wouldn't plan going more than 500 or so miles on them, if I plan on using them mostly for the twisties then I know wear will be quicker.

1/16" seems to be just shy of Lincoln's head. I suppose it's still a good test.

I'd suggest looking closer for wear indicators. I've owned a lot of tires, can't recall any fronts without wear indicators.

The indicators seem to be useless for me, though...fronts always cup for me and the handling goes to shit before they're down to the bars on both the XX and the 14.

This doesn't seem to be a problem on lighter track bikes, though, which are run much harder. :icon_scratchhead: