CBR1100XX.org Forum

Goo Gone for new tires?

Motobeagle

During my morning reading, I came across a small article in Cycle World about using Goo Gone on new tires to remove the mold release agents. Don't know if it works, or if I would trust the process in the first place, but what the hell. :razz: Back to my coffee.

I read the same thing, Jerry. I've also heard of using mineral spirits. I don't know that I trust that stuff not to dry out the rubber, so I'm gonna keep doing it the old fashion way at the local multiplex parking lot.

Might be interesting to hear from someone who knows more about the properties of rubber and such, as it seems like a good idea if it won't hurt the tires.

Do people really find a significant problem with this stuff (not necessarily you two)??? I typically find that within 50 miles of "very aware" riding, the tires are fine and scuffed in. Hmmmmmmm????

MaXX

We use some mold release agents at work, and they appear to be nothing more than soap, or a cetyl alcohol mixture. I just use a scrub brush and some warm sudsy water, and it seems to take the release agent off just fine.

Do people really find a significant problem with this stuff (not necessarily you two)??? I typically find that within 50 miles of "very aware" riding, the tires are fine and scuffed in. Hmmmmmmm????

No not a problem, really. I just replace the 50 miles with about 20 minutes of big circles and figure eights at a large parking lot. I just don't want to hit that last bit of mold release when I'm not expecting it, and there's no roads locally worthy of scrubbing in a tire.

ever dream that you are eating chocolate ice cream only to wake up with a spoon in your ass?

Nope, but I dream of eating your ass all the time. I need some chocolate ice cream, huh?

BTW, yeah, where the fuck have you been?

I soak a rag with brake cleaner and wipe, works great and doesn't hurt the tire..... then I'm ready for the first corner....

... that's my instant scrub in secret.... anybody else got another one?

I use the brake cleaner as well. Just a quick wipe down and then scratch them up with scotchbrite--or, the best I have found is scraping them with a piece of the material that is left over from when my son puts griptake on his skateboard----damn that stuff is sharp! Then by the time you get them warmed up---you are good to play. Happy trails kel

Careful with that brake cleaner around paint. Don't want to leave any residue or fling off!!!

MaXX

Yes.... good point, make sure you spray it on the rag and not your paint..... point that thing the other direction man.

• 2 weeks later...

Just put AV45/46ST's on my VFR today. The goo gone stuff sounds good so I went to their web site to see if they had any issues with using it on rubber. According to their FAQ:

10. On what may I not use Goo Gone?

Non-washable fabrics, such as silks and satins, and natural materials, such as leather, suede, and rubber. It's not for photos, as it could damage the emulsion on the paper and be absorbed by the paper, leaving a yellow tint. Use StickerLifter for photos; it's acid-free, too.

Their site is at http://www.magicamerican.com/faq.shtml