Hookman49

How do you power your GPS?  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• A: Batteries
    • b: Cigar lighter cord
    • c: other type of cord
    • d: Hookers

I have a Garmin Legend GPS and have been using batteries. Just bought a powercord for it and it has a cigar lighter end. Don't really care for that type of powercord. Any body else using something different?

Anyone using adapters?

Ken

Cut the end off of it, solder an in-line fuse holder on the "hot" side, solder some "ring" ends on each end, and wire it to your battery posts. Run the wire under the tank up to the front, and you're done.

Just remember that the GPS won't turn off when you turn the bike off, so make sure you do it.

You can also buy a cord with a fuse and bare ends, as opposed to the lighter adapter. Buy one and save the lighter adapter for your car.

They draw such a low amount of power that you could easily tap into any hot wire that powers on with the bike, such as your front running lights.

It's easy to get to this connector with the windscreen removed, and a lot easier that running a wire back to the battery.

Steve

But God help you if you have an electrical problem on the bike and they won't cover it under warranty because you f'ed with the wiring harness.

Lifting the tank and running the wire from the battery up to the front is a pretty simple operation.

I agree that you may want to keep the standard plug for use in your car if you ever have that need, and pick up a hard-wire kit from Garmin.

I hard-wired a power connection and installed a base in my truck and on my bike so I can easily move the GPS back and forth. (Wired in an external antenna for the truck, since the GPS is down low and can't get a signal with the built-in antenna.)

i just use batteries. 2 AAs. same as my dig cam. i bought 10 nihm rechargables and a charger. they last about for 15-18 hrs and i always carry spares charged and ready to go.

Yo, vetteman I thougt about doing the same with the batteries. But at night with the power cord you can run with the back light on.

Ken

good point ken. the light really sucks the batteries down quick. i have mine set so the light shuts off in 2 minutes. might be kinda hard to hit the light button with gloves on though.

i do have a power cord with the lighter plug. the gps end of the cord clips onto a magellan mount, then you just clip the gps into the mount. i use this on the suction cup mount i have for the cage. if you arent using a mount the plug screws onto the back of the gps, same place the pc cable screws onto.

the ram mount (which i have on the bike) doesnt have an opening large enough for the plug. the magellan plug is about 1"x1 1/2". i'm not even sure i could modify the ram to accept this plug, i may have to check this out. i dont really like any of the magellan mounts for the bike, so i may be stuck with the batteries. :???:

the ram mount (which i have on the bike) doesnt have an opening large enough for the plug

Well that sucks. I can use a power cord with my ram mount. I do have a cigar lighter plug on the bike already (last owner setup) but it is in the wrong place. Plug end is too big.

Well this is the email I got from Powerlet Products. I have the flat connector on my Legend power cord. Damn.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Does the legend use a round 4-pin connector or a flat connector?

If it is a round connector this means the unit will operate from 12volts. In this case yes people change out the plug all the time.

However if it is a flat connector then the unit operates from less than 12V and there is a circuit inside the cigarette plug that steps down the voltage. In this case it cannot be cut off.

Hope this helps.

Ride Safe,

John

Do they sell a hardwire kit for your model that has the circuitry to step it down?

If not, you could take apart the one you have and rig something up maintaining that circuitry I'm sure.

They dont sell a hardwire kit (that I have found anyway). Really scared to screw rig something up on fear that I will blow up my unit. Shit. If I stick with batteries I cant use the back light at night.

Powerlet does sell some nice outlets but just hate the idea of drilling another hole.

Ken

Oh that sucks. I just looked up your model on

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_compare.html

Sell that on Ebay and get one of the other models!

If you don't want to disassemble your lighter plug....

I have some cigarette lighter style power outlets that are in a solid plastic housing with a length of wire attached, so they do not have to be panel mounted. I can't recall where I got them. Maybe auto parts store, or Radio Shack.

You could wire one of these up, and plug in your adapter, then just wrap it up with electrical tape to seal out moisture, and zip tie it somewhere in the front fairing. Then you just have the wire to the unit showing. Much neater looking than a panel mount outlet.

Steve

Going to an Auto parts store today after work to see if I can pick up the outlet. Radio Shack does not carry it. Dont know why. Hum.

Anyway, hope to it installed for this weekend.

One other question. What do you do in the rain? Do you unplug and use batteries? Is it waterproof?

Ken

One other question. What do you do in the rain? Do you unplug and use batteries? Is it waterproof?

Ken

It has a cover that keeps everything dry when not in use and to be honest with its placement not much gets wet there....and by the way, here in Seattle I have never had a problem rain or...rain :lol:

Cheers-

Sanch

I cut the end with the cig adaptor off and soldered it into the clock circuit (see wiring diagram)under the front fairing no need for an inline fuse since it's protected already. This is also where I mounted the antenna booster.

Works pretty good.150mph.JPG

Yep thats what I wanted to do but I cant with my unit.

However if it is a flat connector then the unit operates from less than 12V and there is a circuit inside the cigarette plug that steps down the voltage. In this case it cannot be cut off.

I cant even find an outlet like ElChingonCabron's. Still looking.

Ken

cant find one??? i thought those were pretty common. have you checked pep boys, wally world, etc. maybe a napa. i got one for my quad at shorewood home & auto, which is a hardware/napa/polaris/artic cat store.

cant find one??? i thought those were pretty common. have you checked pep boys, wally world, etc. maybe a napa. i got one for my quad at shorewood home & auto, which is a hardware/napa/polaris/artic cat store.

Yup....gotta hit the auto part stores for the one I have....if you can't find it PM me and I'll pick one up and ship it too you :cool:

Sanch

Well this is a bitch. Found the outlet, wired it to the bike and then found out my GPS cord shit the bed. What the hell I cant win. Got it off of ebay. Looks like I am going to have to break down and buy the one off Garmin. :sad:

Ken