CBR1100XX.org Forum

How To Remove Needle Jet From Slide?

sk6f3

I have the carbs from my 97XX on my kitchen counter. I see threads in the shaft centered in the slide above the top of the needle, does this shaft pop out somehow?

I thought my bike had stock carbs, but it looks like someone has been into them, because the covers over the pilot screws have been removed. I want to check the needle to see if it is adjustable. I also plan to check all the jets sizes. Thanks, Steve

Steve,

If I remember correctly, take one of the carb top screws and thread it partly into the shaft above the needle. Then using that screw, put the needle assembly out of the slide. Also, I didn't think that these pilot scews had covers per se, but that the screws have a "D" shaped head which statisfied the EPA's requirement to make them tamper-resistant. FactoryPro sells a tool to adjust these screws, and they also come in their jet kits.

-Colin

I've read on this forum about shimming the stock needles. I assume the needle has to come free from the slide in order to shim them, or to check to see if they are adjustable (modified) from stock.

The main jets and the pilots are the stock sizes based on info from MaXX in a previous post.

Can anyone confirm that the pilots screws are not covered on this model in stock trim?

I see some colored marks on the bottom of the carbs. Each of the float bowls has a green dot. Two of the carbs bodies have a black mark, and two have a pink mark. There is also a blue mark on the center of the throttle linkage.

Thanks Colin. What is the technique for pulling the needle assembly from the slide? How hard should I pull on the screw threaded into the top of the needle assembly? I have not done this before and am afraid of damaging something.

Thanks Colin. What is the technique for pulling the needle assembly from the slide? How hard should I pull on the screw threaded into the top of the needle assembly? I have not done this before and am afraid of damaging something.

Check this link out:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/car...uretor_comp.cfm

Thread pan screw (#17) into the valve plate (#10). Once that's done, just give the screw a nice, solid tug and the assembly will pop out of the vacuum slide. You shouldn't have to pull too hard, as the only thing holding the plate in is an O-ring (I think). Let me know if you have any other questions.

The kitchen counter thing did not last long, I was then directed back downstairs to the ping-pong table doubling as a work bench. My family's question; Will you be able to put all that stuff back together?

So far on carb #1, I drilled the hole in the slide out to 7/64ths,

increased the pilot to a 45, and lifted the stock needle 1mm with two #4 brass washers. I am attempting to adjust the pilot screw two turns out from bottom, but I do not have the proper tool and stopped for this evening in frustration. I will leave the stock mains.

I am waiting for delivery a tool kit (need the spark plug socket), and a honda service manual purchased on ebay.

I have yet to order a new oil filter, and a K&N air filter from ronayers.

A friend may help to check the valves before it goes back together. Do they need attention at 13K?

I hope I am happy with the changes, It might be awhile before I will know for sure, as it is heading below zero again tonight.

Thanks for the help as I struggled with the needle assemby, I was not sure how it came apart and did not want to make a mistake, now all is well. Steve

The pilot screw resembles a "D" try a .22 or .17 rimfire shell empty of course with a dent in it, or tweezers.

Once you get a manual it will go back together.

From my and everyone elses experience don't bother with the valves they just hold their settings indeffinately.

Regarding removing the needles from the slides: IIRC I simply gripped the plastic stem with pliers, held the slide in the other hand, and gave a firm (but not sudden) tug. You might want to do it on your kitchen table or over a rag as it may suddenly come apart and fling small components (don't ask how I know this).

-Pace

The pilot screw resembles a "D" try a .22 or .17 rimfire shell empty of course with a dent in it, or tweezers.

Just get out your dremel tool and slot the pilot screw. Then

you can turn it with a straight-head screwdriver..

(makes it much easier to get accurate turn counts)

:cool: TJ :cool: