CBR1100XX.org Forum

newbie complete muppet help needed.

insanewayne

Ok newbie muppet here, I will try to explain what a cock up I have made with my 97 bird, and see if any of you fellows can help.

It all started with a small water leak, which I think turned out to be a lose clip on a hose under the carbs, when looking for the leak I stripped down the clutch unit on the front sprocket side and took the push rod out, to get to the hose.

Then like a idiot I started the bike with the rod out, and heres where it all went wrong.

I didn't notice oil coming out the the push rod hole? and then the gps cable touched on the tank shorted out, and killed all power and the engine, which was lucky, as it was firing oil out the engine anyway.

So problem one, no power life, lights of any kind, batt has full power, and all the fuses near the batt are ok? are there any other fuses before I start to trace the wires back?

Problem two the clutch push rod will not now go into the engine enough to get the cover back on?

So feel free to offer abuse and advice

Thanks in advance.

ABUSE: You idiot. :icon_whistle::icon_biggrin:

Now that THAT's out of the way, here's what to do.

ADVISE: Clean your clutch rod well and wiggle it around as you insert it. There's nothing that should be in the way if it going back in. The cover takes a little finesse to get back on straight...if its not working, take it off and try again.

Look for the rubber cover over the solenoid....that's where your main fuse is, and you might have to pull the rear cowl to get to it.

ADVISE: Clean your clutch rod well and wiggle it around as you insert it. There's nothing that should be in the way if it going back in. The cover takes a little finesse to get back on straight...if its not working, take it off and try again.

Look for the rubber cover over the solenoid....that's where your main fuse is, and you might have to pull the rear cowl to get to it.

Wow that was fast! and thanks.

Wow that was fast! and thanks.

That's what his girlfriends say, too! Sounds like an echo, eh, Joe??

reason the cover won't go back is the clutch slave cylinder is moved out, need to push it back in with the rod maybe by hand . If you take a long time it will slowly move to the extended. Clear?

reason the cover won't go back is the clutch slave cylinder is moved out, need to push it back in with the rod maybe by hand . If you take a long time it will slowly move to the extended. Clear?

Ok i've wiggled tapped pushed as hard as I can and the rod will not go in enough, its sticking about 4" to far out, I can't the cylinder anywhere near it, to bolt it up?

I made the same dumb-ass mistake with the clutch push rod (left it out after a sprocket

change and started the bike, oil spewing all over), however, I did not have any trouble

putting the rod back in and remounting the clutch slave cylinder/sprocket cover. I can't

think of anything that would move inside the tranny that would prevent the rod from

going back in all the way through to the clutch basket...

Well 4" is a problem, the clutch slave is not going to accommodate. Your going to have to pull the clutch cover and the pressure plate and the push rod lifter and see what you have in the hole. It is the mainshaft, and the hole should go all the way through from there. That's it nothing else. Clean it real good. Nothing I can think of that should be in there.

Ok i've wiggled tapped pushed as hard as I can and the rod will not go in enough, its sticking about 4" to far out, I can't the cylinder anywhere near it, to bolt it up?

Keep trying to insert it by hand. Do not force it. It should slide into place past the seals with a moderate amount of pressure. There's nothing to get in the way of it or that can come out of place unless something really catastrophic occurs....at least in my experience.

Here's a picture of the clutch on the right side of the engine with the cover removed. The clutch rod pushes on the circular gizmo right in the middle of the clutch.

post-4340-1274707161.jpg

Here is the clutch removed, and the gizmo that the clutch rod fits into is pulled out of the mainshaft. Hey, Honda doesn't even know what it is...they call it a clutch joint piece.

post-4340-1274707216.jpg

And here's a blurry picture of the clutch rod poking out of the mainshaft. There's nothing to get in the way. Wiggle the shaft around to get it to slide into the gizmo thing, and you should be good to go. Patience.

post-4340-1274707536.jpg