CBR1100XX.org Forum

E3 Sparkplugs

The Krypt Keeper

I searched E3 and didn't get any results.

Has anyone used them in anything? Don't matter cars to lawnmowers.

Just wondering as each weekend I watch car shows and they seem to push them as they have them for a sponsor but never actually heard anyone actually using them in anything.

Those guys on Spike on the weekends did a comparison on a dyno. They did pick up a little bit on the dyno and they did compare new regular to new e3. If they cost more than double, I would pass because I am a cheap bastard. If I am a power nut, I would probably get them.

FYI, if you or anyone are running K&N filters, I am still strongly suggesting against using them. I am an old flathead fanatic and an engineer here did a case study on them. About a pound of dust in 20K miles. Some guys on rubberduck 4X4 also did a oil analysis and kept finding silicates in their oil until they went back to their paper filter. I'll stick with what can pass as mil-spec when I can and I'll be a cheap bastard to spite myself.

Mostly, I'm just to lazy to cross reference to find the right plug for my application.

I put a set in my Audi A6 2.8L V6 Quattro a long while back. Didn't notice any appreciable

difference in performance, fuel economy, etc.

I put a set in my Audi A6 2.8L V6 Quattro a long while back. Didn't notice any appreciable

difference in performance, fuel economy, etc.

thanks for the input.

Alot of people say they felt a difference or picked up a few ponies when they went to whatever brand plug. I would hope so as the plugs are brand new and not half worn out like what has been in there. :icon_biggrin:

I seem to remember the Split-Fire plugs being all the rage, but we all know what a piece of shit those turned out to be. :icon_rolleyes:

Even if the modest power increase claims are true, how long will they last and at what price?

I think as a general rule, the bigger the advertising, the more worthless the product.

Yep like the iridium plug. Don't know what was wrong with the stocker NGK's my bird came with as they had a molecule malfunction and needed to be replaced at 9k miles. Had the same NGK iridium's in the XX for 18k miles now and not missed a beat.

My Charger also calls for iridium plugs and to replace every 100,000 miles.

Here is a great piece in regards to plug life, because I'm with Krypt, 20,000 miles was way to early....

(I replaced mine at about 18K, and they looked brand new)

Q. How long will Iridium Last?

A. Iridium use represents the most significant technological advance in automotive spark plug manufacturing, since platinum was introduced in the early eighties. As vehicle manufacturers produce increasingly complex and efficient automobiles, there is a greater need for long-life plugs that can tolerate leaner fuel mixtures and improved combustion processes. DENSO has responded to this need by developing its Iridium alloy, originally for OE applications. For example, many newer Lexus’ and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will “round-off†firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles.

The above quote was copied from here...

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php

I think I'll leave the current sent in there for at least 40K.

My original plugs are still in the bike, 49K so far. I've noticed that it takes a bit longer to start now, so I will take out the plugs and fit new ones soon. Runs just fine though.