CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anybody have any machine work done lately?

rockmeupto125

I'm needing a vehicle, and can't spend a whole lot.

An local fellow has an Toyota 4Runner, 1990 vintage. The body in excellent condition, but there's a little knock in the engine. Unfortunately, he drove it like that, so it will undoubtedly need the crank cut. Its a 3.0 6cylinder. I haven't had a crank cut in years......how much should I expect to pay for that nowadays? It's unfortunate this vehicle will be sold for scrap, but its starting to look like a too-expensive project.

I'm OCD about cracking open an engine. That being said, if I have to open it, it's getting at minimum, rings and head work. I think a hundred and change just for the grinding, but I wouldn't expect to get out of that engine for less than a grand. If the truck is in that great of shape it would probably be worth it, but I can get a complete engine from the u-pull-it for about 300.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm OCD about cracking open an engine. That being said, if I have to open it, it's getting at minimum, rings and head work. I think a hundred and change just for the grinding, but I wouldn't expect to get out of that engine for less than a grand. If the truck is in that great of shape it would probably be worth it, but I can get a complete engine from the u-pull-it for about 300.

+1 to that. I have a crank place I use in So. Cal if you decide to go that route. LMK, and I'll see if I can find their contact info. I can drive there, but forget the address...