CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tires: Mixing Pilot Sport with Pilot Road

pdxxx

I need to order a new rear tire and thought I would get a Michelin Pilot Road for the rear and Michelin Pilot Sport for the front so that they will wear more equally, and I get the advantage of a super sticky front tire.

Are there reasons NOT to do this?

Thanks!

Thanks Hugo. I will give it a shot and report the results.

Just one thing though, explore the limits one step at a time because no matter what the manufacturer says (about compatible profile), what I say, etc, you are in uncharted territory.

Hugo

One thing to keep in mind is that the Pilot Sport and Pilot Road have different profiles, different enough that I believe that the fundamental geometry and handling will be subtly affected, possibly detrimentally. I currently have the Pilot Sports on my Blackbird, and like them, but haven't put the miles on them yet. I had a set of the Pilot Roads on my '96 K1100RS, and really liked those tires. The only peculiar thing about them was that they wore so evenly as a set that when the rear was finished, the front was far enough gone that I went ahead and replaced it as well.

I replaced the Pilot Roads just this week on the K1100 with MEZ4s as a matter of convenience ('cause the BMW shop had them in stock), and in spite of my better judgment. I had some bad experiences with Metzelers a few years ago, and wouldn't have recommended them to anyone, but then again they weren't the MEZ4's so, we'll see how things work out.

My seat-of-the-pants assessment is that with the Pilot Road in the rear, the turn-in would be slowed somewhat, but if the Pilot Sport in front already had some wear, it might not be so objectionable.

I have been running the Sport front/Road Rear for almost 5K miles and in my opinion---work great. I even did the Reg Pridmore riding class at Streets of Willow---they did real well there once warmed up. On the street I run 42/42--with about 20mins riding time before I start to play. At the Streets of Willow it was 31/32 (Bird feels real heavy running those pressures---but stuck quite well. The Road will spin up fairly easy if you are harsh with the throttle. Happy trails kel