CBR1100XX.org Forum

dead bird

darkwing

I was out riding this weekend and stopped to stretch my legs, the bike was running good no problems with anything except a leaky fork seal ( that will be changed after riding season). when I got back on the bike I turned the key on and nothing, no dash lights, no headlights no electrical at all. Its a '97 model new battery this year and its still shows good charge, all fuses are good even the 30 main. and battery connections are good, no accessories added to it for any extra drain. I thought i would bump start it and it started still no dash lights or electrical system. the dash lights did flicker when it first turned over but that was it. the bike only ran for about a 100 yards and started to sputtur and die, can not restart. Could this be the ignition switch? has anyone had this problem b4? :icon_banghead:

regulator...did the speedometer needle start umping around?

no it didn't, but i forgot to mention the dash clock will work when key is turned off, but when the key is on it goes blank and resets back to 1:00 when turned back off and it will continue to keep time

(Short version) There's a sequence to check the battery, reg/rec and stator which requires a charged battery and a volt meter. My bike died too and everything checked out good, except the battery wasn't seeing the charge...had to, right cause it's all good?

I found the red wire going into the red connector on the starter relay had fried.

Might be a long shot, but Stefan found his was showing signs of overheating too.

This connection is how the reg/rec charges the battery.

Probably be a good thing to be checked on all BB's as I've been told that connection is problematic...Let us know...Hank