CBR1100XX.org Forum

Screen

JohanC

Can anybody please tell me how to remove the screen on my 2004 Bird. I can see the two top bolts have nuts which can be loosen, but the remainder is hidden away behind the plastics that forms the side panels to the instrument cluster. Is it necessary to remove these panels in order to loosen the remainder of the bolts holding the screen in place.

Please advise,

Thanks. :icon_rolleyes:

Can anybody please tell me how to remove the screen on my 2004 Bird. I can see the two top bolts have nuts which can be loosen, but the remainder is hidden away behind the plastics that forms the side panels to the instrument cluster. Is it necessary to remove these panels in order to loosen the remainder of the bolts holding the screen in place.

Please advise,

Nope!

You'll need to hold the nut behind the top two, but the remaining ones have well nuts which are stuck into the upper fairing stay. Just turn them with a 5mm allen till they come out.

Usually there's a metal grommet on the two in the middle that fits into the screen itself. Be a bit careful when removing the screen, as they tend to fall out and get lost.

Please advise,

Nope!

You'll need to hold the nut behind the top two, but the remaining ones have well nuts which are stuck into the upper fairing stay. Just turn them with a 5mm allen till they come out.

Usually there's a metal grommet on the two in the middle that fits into the screen itself. Be a bit careful when removing the screen, as they tend to fall out and get lost.

what he said, butt be extra careful with the two closest to the headlight, they are a pain to put back in, at least until you get used to it.

let me clarify the bolts are easy it's those two wellnuts at the front that are the pain .... they can fall into the most hard to reach places.

2cents

Don't forget to dis-connect the mirrors also.

You don't need to disconnect the mirrors to remove the windscreen. If you're pulling the entire upper cowl, yea.. but not just to pull the windscreen.

Don't forget to dis-connect the mirrors also.

You don't need to disconnect the mirrors to remove the windscreen. If you're pulling the entire upper cowl, yea.. but not just to pull the windscreen.

I know, but it gives you a little more room and reduces the chance of losing those rubber thingys.

(Let the jokes fly!)

• 3 weeks later...

Needing to do mine, I pulled the mirrors. It did help with the room and one of the metal washers fell, but luckily it fell thru to the ground...now the washer I was trying to put in the top hole to take up some of the slack....not so much. haha.

The ZG touring screen is thinner than the stocker for anyone swapping that on.

Pic:

post-36778-1258857081.jpg