CBR1100XX.org Forum

Instrument panel plugs

ZRX1100JIM

Can someone tell me how to remove the two large rectangular plugs on

the back of the instrument panel. I don't want to just go yanking on them.

My speedo light wasn't lit and when I wiggled the harness that goes to

the left plug, the light lit again. I want to take it apart to see whats up and

change the bulbs to led's.

Thanks

Jim

I'm not sure the reason for the speedo not being illuminated is those plugs :icon_confused: I just replaced the 4 x T10 globes on my 98 dash with LED's because I couldn't see the speedo at night and the fuel gauge illumination was intermittent :icon_surprised: I reckon the intermittent was from a dodgy globe :icon_confused:

I replaced the 2 middle globes with blue LED's and the outer ones with clear (blue was making the red in the red zone almost black) and the whole dash has a soft blue light to it now without being overly bright :icon_biggrin:

Schematics for 99 on show LEDs on the instruments. But renewal parts shows the tach having a bulb. :icon_biggrin: There are bulbs listed on the 97-98 cluster that don't show on the later years. I remember WillsXX posting ( on .com I think) about some wedge LEDs that replaced the lamps. I THINK, maybe, that the cluster lamps are held in with sockets. I use a simular setup on some of my Xray machines. Rotate the socket 90 degrees and the bulb and socket pull off the back of the cluster. Pull the bulb out of the socket and replace with a new bulb. At least that is the way it works on a SV 650.

On my Xray machines, the contact tabs on the sockets get corroded and make poor or no contact. Pulling them and cleaning with some sandpaper may help.

OK so I stole a bit of Wills thread. Here is the link for where he got his LEDs. Link

[quote name='redxxrdr' I THINK, maybe, that the cluster lamps are held in with sockets. I use a simular setup on some of my Xray machines. Rotate the socket 90 degrees and the bulb and socket pull off the back of the cluster. Pull the bulb out of the socket and replace with a new bulb.

The replacement LED's for '97'/'98' are 6 each #74 and 4 each #194. The way it looks is the smaller #74's are for the

idiot lights and the larger #194's are for the tach/speedo illumination. Ill let everyone know for sure after the LED's

come in.

I THINK, maybe, that the cluster lamps are held in with sockets. I use a similar setup on some of my Xray machines. Rotate the socket 90 degrees and the bulb and socket pull off the back of the cluster. Pull the bulb out of the socket and replace with a new bulb.

The replacement LED's for '97'/'98' are 6 each #74 and 4 each #194. The way it looks is the smaller #74's are for the

idiot lights and the larger #194's are for the tach/speedo illumination. Ill let everyone know for sure after the LED's

come in.

Yeah there are 4 large T10 wedge type bulbs that are used to illuminate the dials (fuel/temp/speedo & tacho) then there are 6 T5's for the 2 indicators, HB/SS/oil pressure and neutral :icon_surprised:

The T10's also help illuminate the clock :icon_wink: And yes they are all in sockets that rotate 90 deg and have polarity so the globes will work one way only :icon_think:

FYI I think some of the Digi dash do use LED's for some parts of the dash (the LCD displays I think) :icon_think: