CBR1100XX.org Forum

My project

MiDNiTXX

Ok, I'm bored at work so as I was going over my list of orders to check on today I figured I'd share my little project.

This is the big week, I am "supposed" to get my parts in this week.

Waiting on:

-Hahn Turbo

-Aquamist h2o injection

-Greddy BOV

-Chrome for rims, shifter, rear brake, and front and rear pegs/brackets

-Chromed 0-6" extended swingarm

-Sprockets and chain

Installed so far:

-'01 digital dash (thanks eliXXir for the 'how-to')

-Mototeck undertail (last night)

-Power remote seat release (last night)

Have, but not installed:

-Alarm (1 mile 2-way pager)

-Neon underglow (partially installed, very soft glow, nothing extreme)

I'm probably forgetting something...

The poor thing is naked as a jaybird and on stands in the garage. It makes me sad to see it so! The bad part is I started everything too soon and I expect to be finished while its still cold. Looks like I might need to add winter gear to my "Waiting on" list :)

Oh yeah, this is on a 2000 Titanium model.

The chromer just called, they said my parts are ready to ship but they can't locate one of the rims! They also mistakenly chromed the sprocket rather then polishing it, sigh.

Hahn said the header is being made today and the intake is on the table, whatever that means. Of course this is after being told 2 weeks ago that a previous employee left with the flange molds, so they had to remake the molds.

I don't remember the name on the alarm. It was one of those repackaged deals. I have it installed now and its very functional. So far I have tested up to 1/2 a mile and it works. The only quirk is that once you disarm it you have to either open the seat or turn the key on, or it will re-arm itself - which isn't all bad as long as I remember. I love the remote seat release too :)

-Hahn swears the turbo will ship next Tuesday, we'll see.

-The chromer "found" my rim and it is shipping today. They say it failed inspection after being chromed so it got sent back through. They can take their sweet time as long as it looks great!

Anyone else have problems with the Mototeck lights? Besides the fact that the turn signals suck, if I wiggle the wires on the sockets...they go out. I'll have to open them up this weekend, hopefully its something simple.

Oh! And thanks to Peter (birdie_xx) I added a set of GIVI bags to the "Have but not installed" today! Thanks Peter!

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the first chrome pieces. Now I admit I have no experience in having anything chromed so I am not sure how "perfect" it "supposed" to be...but I am not happy. The parts look fine from a couple of feet away but up close it sucks.

All the parts:

chrome_all.jpg

They look ok from here.

Now this picture (though bad) shows the reflection which should be a straight line. See how wavy the white line is, thats how wavy the chrome is. Its also very thin at some points but I wasn't able to get a picture that really showed it.

chrome_wavy.jpg

I haven't decided if I am going to put up with them for now or not. The rims are due tomorrow, we'll see how bad they are.

Oh and yes, that sprocket is chromed...it was supposed to be polished but since I have a new one on order I figured it didn't matter.

-Robert

The weight on the above parts is 1/2 an ounce more (not including the sprocket since it wasn't supposed to be chromed). Unfortunately I did forget to weigh the rims before chroming, so if someone has a chance to weigh theirs we can see the difference there too! I expect the delinking kit will account for the weight difference ;)

Just talked to Hahn, they say the kit is complete and they are waiting for the header to return from the ceramic shop. "Supposedly" one week from today...

Anyone else have problems with the Mototeck lights? Besides the fact that the turn signals suck, if I wiggle the wires on the sockets...they go out.

Yep, their LED's are crap. Try:

www.ledtronics.com

Expensive but worth it. Also, sounds like you may want to recheck your wiring. Likely a loose connection. My bulbs went out, but it was because my contacts corroded. I cleaned them with alcohol, applied Vasoline to the connections and have been "all good" since.

I too just got back all the pieces I took to be chromed.First off,the wavy-ness that your seeing in the rear footpeg brackets,was there already.The highly reflective nature of chrome simply makes any flaws of that nature stand out that much more.Kinda like when ya paint a car black when it used to be a lighter color,you'll notice all the body imperfections ALOT more than say,a white one.I smoothed and polished ALL of the parts I sent to be chromed( rear footpeg brackets & pegs,both pieces of the clutch cover,the stator cover,side stand & spring,all engine cover bolts,center clutch cover bolt,shifter lever and front peg lean angle spacers).I left the front footpeg brackets & pegs in a highly polished state.I figured the triangle shaped areas of the front peg brackets are prone to getting scratched with normal riding(heel of boots,shoes),and might as well have the ability to repolish them when needed.This is also why I didn't chrome the front pegs,plus I wanted them to have the same "color" and shine as the brackets they are atteched to.Chrome sprockets are only good for strictly show bikes.With regular use,the chrome will wear down and eventually peal away from the sprocket.Mine is polished.One more little "trick" I did was to remove the small "o" shaped tabs attached to the front brackets where the stock exhaust used to bolt up to.I've seen many XXs with 4 into 1 pipes where the stock mounting points are still there. All together the items I listed came to a semi-rediculous approx $450.I also removed the "cooling fins" that were part of the clutch cover for a smoother look.The stock swingarm has also been considerably smoothed down and highly polished(by me in my shop).Can't afford to chrome the wheels this year.I will polish the outer portions and paint the spokes.Custom dark purple metallic, body parts,custom graffics,chrome shield,clear turn signals,clear l.e.d. tail light,custom polished alum. rear turn signals with clear lens,Sargent's seat cover with purple piping,purple gel grips,throttle lock,nickel plated new style Heli-bars,polished stainless bar ends(one doubles as a helmet lock),purple "X" ring chain,carbon fibre/polished alum. reservoir covers,full Muzzy stainless/alum header(polished of course) and modified& painted center stand.Whew! And that's just for THIS season! Stay tuned.........Smitty

That's about what I expected.Removing my almost brand new tires (without damaging the beads),and buying new wheel bearings,along with the wait,hmmmmmmm, maybe.

• 3 weeks later...