CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hugger Alignment Help

XX

any suggestions on better aligning my Pyramid Hugger? here are some pics. There is no rubbing, but I'd just rather have it 'right' than off like this:

(see below, hopefully)

It's got 4 mounting points... (2) normal chainguard mounting points and (2) rear brake line mounting points on right side of swingarm.

any ideas?

I had the same issue with my pyramid hugger. I used a couple of washers for spacers on one side, but overall was not happy with the fit. I just left it that way. Talked to JAWS who I bought it from (good guy to deal with). He said they have some "issues" with them every once in awhile. He offered to take it back, but I said it was acceptable for now.

I can't see your pics, but I can tell you mine fit well. I think I had to file one of the mounting holes a bit, but other than that, no problems. Maybe you got a bad one.

did either of you find that the screw holes needed to be enlarged? They are only the size to fit the threaded portion of the screw and not the spacer portion of the screw?

the pic loads strangely, even I have to hit back and then hit the topic again and i see it then, maybe that will help.

thanks!

unfortunately it was bought as a 'one off' from Ayers in the UK. Returning and exchanging will be, is an impossibility or would be a royal pita.

any ideas on aligning it?

ps don't think it's warped.. hopefully just misaligned :sad:

did either of you find that the screw holes needed to be enlarged? They are only the size to fit the threaded portion of the screw and not the spacer portion of the screw?

Yeah, I did. That's what I meant when I said

I think I had to file one of the mounting holes a bit, but other than that, no problems.
:grin:

If you did get a warped hugger, you might try heating it in an oven for a while and tweaking it a bit. If you can't return it, you might as well try to fix it.

Let us know what happens.

Yeah, I did. That's what I meant when I said

I think I had to file one of the mounting holes a bit, but other than that, no problems.
:grin:

If you did get a warped hugger, you might try heating it in an oven for a while and tweaking it a bit. If you can't return it, you might as well try to fix it.

That's also what I had to do with mine. Unfortunately, the movement of riding the bike eventually caused the mounting hole to enlarge even more and more until the hugger became unusuable.

I replaced it with a Red-Fox which fit perfectly and seems to be of better quality but, I do miss the fact that the Pyramid extended below the swingarm to provide better protection to the shock.

I drilled out my mounting holes to the size of the screws, then installed O-rings under the head of the screws to keep the hugger tight to the swingarm.

I've also seen stainless steel washers used. Have you tried installing washers between the hugger and swingarm?

Instead of heating in an oven, you could try immersing it in very hot water, then tweaking it, or using a hot air gun while it's on the bike. Wedge something between the tire and the hugger while heating the hugger, to help pull it in the right direction.

Hope it helps.