CBR1100XX.org Forum

Black foam pieces

none

Anyone have removed the removable foam pieces that resides between the side plastics and the engine?

What exactly is the purpose of those pieces, noise damping, heat insulation?

Any possible ill-effect if they are left off the XX?

Anyone have removed the removable foam pieces that resides between the side plastics and the engine?

What exactly is the purpose of those pieces, noise damping, heat insulation?

Any possible ill-effect if they are left off the XX?

those things are stuck in pretty good................

those things are stuck in pretty good................

Mine are just hanging loose from their mounting points at the top.. easily taken out once the side plastics are removed from the bike.

Also depends on the model of BB you have. My '98 had a big loose one secured at the top by looping over the frame mount & under the hook mounted on the sump for the lower screw. My '07 only has some glued onto the inside of the panels.

Also depends on the model of BB you have. My '98 had a big loose one secured at the top by looping over the frame mount & under the hook mounted on the sump for the lower screw. My '07 only has some glued onto the inside of the panels.

My 98 has the same hook mounted ones.. I removed them yesterday prior to re-installing the side plastics... got the XX up to 115 mph.. can't say there is a difference without them.. engine/exhaust heat still cook my legs at slower traffic speed.