CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil Filter Relocation?

Byrdman

Does anyone know a source for an oil filter relocation kit for Honda's motorcycle engines?

I want to move the oil filter on my 919 dual sport (XR900R) project, as it just happens to be in a really vulnerable spot!

Thanks fuckers...........

I don't have my 919 in front of me (dammit, where IS that bike, anyway?) so I can't make a judgement based on how much room you have around the oil filter. One obvious problem is if you move the filter, where the hell you gonna put it? Anyway, I suggest you look at the filter relocation kits for Miata's. The oil filter threading is the same as Honda, 20x1.5, and they are designed small rather than built down from a larger filter body application. The Cool-Tec Miata kit cost less than $100 and has straight out fittings that might make it easier to work with, although I'd imagine you would trade the straight barb connectors for braided right angles after you sorted it out.

I have a picture of one on Brent's motor. So I know they exist. Have no idea where it came from. I get the ones for my trucks from Amsoil to relocate my filters and add the micron filter. Might be a start.

• 1 year later...
Looking for more... Did someone use this and have good results?

I need to relocate my oil filter and there is no way around this.

Joe, you seem like a good source of information on this, have you used one??

No, I haven't. I think when I replied to the original post I had recently changed the oil in my Miata and had an interest in relocating the filter. The kits I saw looked very compact, and that was my only reason to suggest looking into those.

I think that three different thread sizes accomodate nearly every automotive oil filter application in the modern world. The differences other than quality of construction and materials are nothing more than the width, length, and bypass valve pressure. I have filters here for Honda auto, motorcycle, Toyota, Datsun, Mazda, and a few others, and they all screw onto the same fitting. For $5, we're not buying an intelligent device...that part is up to us. All the different filters available are precious little more than marketing. If there were only 3 different oil filters in the whole world, each of them would be dirt cheap (and then the British would invent a square one, I'm sure).

I think that three different thread sizes accomodate nearly every automotive oil filter application in the modern world. The differences other than quality of construction and materials are nothing more than the width, length, and bypass valve pressure.

The Datsun L series blocks have the bypass built into the casting, pretty sure that they specified a filter without an internal bypass.

I have filters here for Honda auto, motorcycle, Toyota, Datsun, Mazda, and a few others, and they all screw onto the same fitting. For $5, we're not buying an intelligent device...that part is up to us. All the different filters available are precious little more than marketing. If there were only 3 different oil filters in the whole world, each of them would be dirt cheap (and then the British would invent a square one, I'm sure).

+1 Choosing a filter is pretty much like choosing a battery, if it is big enough it will work fine. How it fits is up to you.

A friend of mine and Walt's just bought a '08 FJR.

It has the oil filter on the side, out in the open, so you don't have to remove any fairing to change it.

Very considerate of Yamaha.

That bike is SWEET and would make a good replacement for the XX for any of you guys looking. First rate fit and finish.