CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another question for the gurus

dehning

So I have been working on a '99 VFR800 project bike and I have everything together and almost all the gremlins worked out except for this one:

When I start the bike up, if I just let her idle or I ride gently, all is OK, but if I rev her above about 7000 RPM (at running temp), she will blow the seal for the oil filter out and blow oil through the gap. Has happened 3 times and let me tell you how tired of cleaning up baby oil slicks I'm getting :icon_sad:.

Another associated symptom is that there is a small leak where the feed comes into/exits the oil cooler. I had thought that it may just be a bad o-ring, but now I'm wondering if oil isn't flowing properly in the engine and too much pressure is building up.

One more thing that I'm not sure of the relevance is that she will blow a lot of white smoke when warmed up (only when warmed up ), I had assumed that this was old oil in the header pipe which was there when I got the bike in pieces a few months ago, but now I'm not so sure.

I hope like hell this isn't a major problem as I really don't feel like ripping the engine apart.

The history of the bike is that it was caught in hurricane Ike. The owner had completely disassembled the bike and was getting ready to sell the parts on ebay. I got hold of him with just the ECU sold. I got all the parts for $1200 (Title OK & transfered) I bought a replacement harness & ECU off eBay and I am waiting for another slave cylinder to arrive. I also got the left side cowl and seat cowl for a good deal. Got the muffler basically brand new for $1 off eBay and the seller through in a new set of bar ends too! Bike has Metzler M1s and a corbin seat

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

post-20371-1250467657.jpg

..but if I rev her above about 7000 RPM (at running temp), she will blow the seal for the oil filter out and blow oil through the gap.

Double gasket? Remove the filter and if you find the gasket from the previous filter still stuck to the case that's one problem solved.

OK, the first time I actually thought it was the filter and so I replaced it, definitely only one filter seal.

Very aware of the oil level (since it's inversely proportional to what get's dumped on my floor). Oil level is good.

gonna need to tap into the oil sending unit port with a tee and see what the pressure is, if it gets over 100 psi gonna have to pull the oil pump, and, the relief valve, as there are two reliefs in that motor I think, one in the pump and another in the main oil ine

I don't know the oiling system, and there should be a bypass around the oil cooler...but then again the bike shouldn't be doing this, either.

If the cooler is blocked, the oil that should be going through the cooler isn't...effectively increasing the amount of oil in the system. If its a big cooler, that could be significant.

So I have been working on a '99 VFR800 project bike and I have everything together and almost all the gremlins worked out except for this one:

When I start the bike up, if I just let her idle or I ride gently, all is OK, but if I rev her above about 7000 RPM (at running temp), she will blow the seal for the oil filter out and blow oil through the gap. Has happened 3 times and let me tell you how tired of cleaning up baby oil slicks I'm getting :icon_sad: .

Another associated symptom is that there is a small leak where the feed comes into/exits the oil cooler. I had thought that it may just be a bad o-ring, but now I'm wondering if oil isn't flowing properly in the engine and too much pressure is building up.

One more thing that I'm not sure of the relevance is that she will blow a lot of white smoke when warmed up (only when warmed up ), I had assumed that this was old oil in the header pipe which was there when I got the bike in pieces a few months ago, but now I'm not so sure.

I hope like hell this isn't a major problem as I really don't feel like ripping the engine apart.

The history of the bike is that it was caught in hurricane Ike. The owner had completely disassembled the bike and was getting ready to sell the parts on ebay. I got hold of him with just the ECU sold. I got all the parts for $1200 (Title OK & transfered) I bought a replacement harness & ECU off eBay and I am waiting for another slave cylinder to arrive. I also got the left side cowl and seat cowl for a good deal. Got the muffler basically brand new for $1 off eBay and the seller through in a new set of bar ends too! Bike has Metzler M1s and a corbin seat

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

White smoke is water/coolant, which probably equals head gasket or some such thing.

That may contribute to your oil blowing off...

Or some of the Oil return/ feed lines may just be completely plugged with junk.

Don't think it's coolant as the level is staying solid and the oil that I drain out again is clear.

I think it may be the oil cooler or the pressure relief valve. Will pull the coller off this evening and see what happens I try and blow through it. Otherwise I guess I'm pulling the oil pan.

On the plus side, the slave cylinder for the '07 CBR1000RR just arrived and it fit's perfectly!

It sounds like your pressure relief valve is stuck, but I'm not sure how that would make it blow oil smoke out the tail pipe. Unless the extra pressure is really hosing down the underside of the pistons and the oil control rings can't handle it. I'm guessing you have two separate issues. :icon_think: :icon_think:

Does it smoke all the time or only when you revved it up and popped the filter seal?

If the smoke is the result of burning oil, it will have a bluish color and will hang in the air like tire smoke. If the smoke dissipates rapidly after leaving the pipe, it is water and/or coolant. Good luck.