CBR1100XX.org Forum

Steps to change fork fluid?

Mikey

I don't know where my manual went, and there are always cheats. So can someone go through how to change the fork fluid the easiest and the amount and type of fluid to put in and tools required? I'd like to do it this weekend if at all possible. I just don't want to have something apart and find that I'm too far to back up, but don't have what I need to continue.

I don't know where my manual went, and there are always cheats. So can someone go through how to change the fork fluid the easiest and the amount and type of fluid to put in and tools required? I'd like to do it this weekend if at all possible. I just don't want to have something apart and find that I'm too far to back up, but don't have what I need to continue.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=50266

Hobi has a post a few posts in that is very detailed. Intended for a fork spring change, but you do the fluid in the process. I had to PM him to find it...his info should be in a DIY section.

1) Ride bike to NeXXt

2) Have Tina room with me

3) Ask me to do it while we're there.

:icon_biggrin:

Won't last till then there Hobi...

So the instructions say after you have emptied your oil, to put top all the way down. So without the spring or spacer, you are compressing your fork? And then doing your measurement from there?

What type of oil are we putting in?

Won't last till then there Hobi...

So the instructions say after you have emptied your oil, to put top all the way down. So without the spring or spacer, you are compressing your fork? And then doing your measurement from there?

What type of oil are we putting in?

Can Tina still room with me at NeXXt??? :icon_biggrin:

Remove the spacer, washer and spring, push the fork tube all the way down, add oil, pump the cartdrige to distribute the oil, top up, and measure via the Mityvac method.

I like to use the Honda SS8 oil, which is stock 10w fork oil. You'll need to buy 3 bottles, although each takes about 1 bottle and a little more, as I remember.

What is a mity vac?

http://www.mityvac.com/

It's a vaccuum pump with a catch basin. You can pick them up at an auto parts store, I paid about $35 US for mine. It's a handy tool to have, especially for bleeding brakes, which is what it's often used for.

In a pinch, you can use your penis pump... :icon_twisted:

I saw the other thread. Manual says every 15K? One year? Heck, I'm like 10 time overdue on age alone (lol).

A mechanic told me that you really don't need to worry about fork oil if you don't abuse the bike and the seals are holding, but I think that was geared towards saving $$$ rather than optimal performance.

Rather than a Mighty Vac (or penis pump), you can make your own. Save a spaghetti sauce jar, make two holes in the lid and attach tubes. Suck on one, use the other to drain fluid. The fluid will fall to the bottom of the jar as you draw air. It should work fine if all you're doing is draining off excess and not hosing up a lot of liquids.

I got my XX with 20K on the clock and did the fork oil change along with all the other fluids. If the factory fluid was red as the Honda stuff I put back in, it convinced me to make fork oil changing a every two year ritual. The stuff that came out looked like gray metalic paint, and I'm quite sure the guy that had the bike before me never changed it. Bike was 6 yrs old at the time.

It took a lot of flushes to get the grey goop out of one fork but the other was fine.

Unfortunately I found my steering head bearings are toast.

Anyone have the bearing numbers for the steering head bearings?

I got my XX with 20K on the clock and did the fork oil change along with all the other fluids. If the factory fluid was red as the Honda stuff I put back in, it convinced me to make fork oil changing a every two year ritual. The stuff that came out looked like gray metalic paint, and I'm quite sure the guy that had the bike before me never changed it. Bike was 6 yrs old at the time.

I'm in the middle of doing this right now, I have never done it and I have 65k on the bike.

The old fluid looks the same (grey and very foul smelling).

I'm swapping in some Wilbers springs, new brake pads, and a new front tire while it's off and anything else that needs to be freshened up.

I will say I'll be doing it every 2 years at a minimum from now on.

It took a lot of flushes to get the grey goop out of one fork but the other was fine.

Unfortunately I found my steering head bearings are toast.

Anyone have the bearing numbers for the steering head bearings?

http://www.goallballs.com/SHOP/shopexd.asp...=Ret&id=589

Get the All Balls tapered steering head bearings.

If you can make it through till NeXXt, this is something we should do in the parking lot. You'll need a steering head tool, which I have. (It can be done without one, but....)

If you want, I can pick them up and bring them along (along with all the tools necessary) to NeXXt, and we'll do them there. It looks like at this point I'm probably caging it to NeXXt (my dislocated clavicle isn't going to be happy with distance riding) so I can toss in all the necessary stuff.

Rich, that would be awesome. I have no choice but to wait, I don't want my vibrating front tire to kill a new bearing. I'm getting tires from Joe.

Yes, please pick them up and bring the tool. I'd really appreciate it.

Rich, that would be awesome. I have no choice but to wait, I don't want my vibrating front tire to kill a new bearing. I'm getting tires from Joe.

Yes, please pick them up and bring the tool. I'd really appreciate it.

Will do! Between Dion's collection of tools, and what I'll bring, we'll be able to get it done. You do still have a center stand, right?

We'll take some pictures and I'll write up a "How To" thread when it's all said and done. You WILL like the results of the tapered bearings... you get NO head shake, even with cupped tires.

I do have a center stand yes.

So while the front tire is off I'll need to get the front tire that Joe has, put on (and a new rear). I think this needs a new thread... I'm going to open a new thread on "Things to Fix at neXXt"so we know what we are in for