CBR1100XX.org Forum

Painting advice needed.

Zero Knievel

To fix the damage to my bike, I'm looking at $500 for a basic paint job done by someone I know does EXCEPTIONAL work. He's a friend, so he will do it at a significant discount. He will do everything but the tank for that price.

I doubt I could replace only the damaged panels for less than $500. For all the talk of fixing plastic myself and painting it myself, I know (from experience) that if you don't have the right tools, even if you have the right paint the end result can look like crap (never mind the time and energy you have to invest when you can spare the time). As much as I try not to fret over imperfections, I do care about how good the end results look.

Those who have been down this road, is the price right versus other options (replacing panels via hunting them down on eBay, DIY repairs, etc.)? About the only practical way I see to do it cheaper is if I can get the replacement panels dirt cheap on eBay already in black in perfect condition. Knowing what plastics cost, I doubt people are giving them away that cheap.

I know I could probably knock the $500 price lower if I choose to only have him fix what's damaged, but to be fair, if you paint the left side, you really need to do the right side so it matches. Excluding the tank, all I could drop from the list would be the rear cowl and the grab rail behind the seat. So, I don't see the price going down all that much.

The only reason I painted my own is because I want to be a better painter. The cost of tools and materials for quality far outweigh the cost you are talking about. I'd say just pay the price and be happy with the results.

It depends how anal you are about your bike and there is that old cliche " you can only see one side at the time",you won`t be able to compare right side to the left anyway.

Honestly,I don`t see a point in painting right lower/tail/fander unless they need fixing anyway.

If anything,left side of the tank needs to be blended,because left lower comes close to a tank at one point and color difference might show up right there.

Fuggit about doing that yourself unless you plan on more projects like that,absolutely not worth it,almost impossible to get very good results without professional equipment,spray booth ,etc.Especially with gloss black color.

You know what,paint the whole bike,I forgot that stock black OEM paint on XX is rather crappy,scratches very easily. I would do tank too in this case.Just make sure your friend uses quality materials,not all paint has been created equal.

You'll have more than $500 in new lower cowls and double that if you're talking about a new nose piece and tank. I got some nice used lowers and the lads chipped in on a nice tail cowl for me when I wrecked my bike a couple of years ago. Thanks guys!

Well, in this case just have him fix what is actually damaged.Nose,left lower and mirror right ?

Right side of the nose is good I assume,he can blend it with the left one,done deal.This way the paint on the right side of the cowl will match RT lower.This is how it is normally done.Nobody paints whole car just because the door is damaged.

Just to give you idea http://www.jackspaintplace.com/blending.htm

I guess he would do it for 300 bucks or maybe even less.

Well, in this case just have him fix what is actually damaged.Nose,left lower and mirror right ?

Right side of the nose is good I assume,he can blend it with the left one,done deal.This way the paint on the right side of the cowl will match RT lower.This is how it is normally done.Nobody paints whole car just because the door is damaged.

Just to give you idea http://www.jackspaintplace.com/blending.htm

I guess he would do it for 300 bucks or maybe even less.

True, and the stuff will get mucked up again in time just from road debris, right?