CBR1100XX.org Forum

Charge light for dashboard

brianmacza

I just replaced my stator - all 3 poles were shorted to ground on the old one...

RR is ok, and its charging just fine now. QUestion is, does anyone with an electronics bent have a circuit that can be cobbled in to put a 'charge LED' someplace on the dash to verify charge function?

Its something that I think is a huge oversight on Honda's part - particularly with the stator and RR of the old carby XX's being fairly low spec.

Help? ANyone??

I just replaced my stator - all 3 poles were shorted to ground on the old one...

RR is ok, and its charging just fine now. QUestion is, does anyone with an electronics bent have a circuit that can be cobbled in to put a 'charge LED' someplace on the dash to verify charge function?

Its something that I think is a huge oversight on Honda's part - particularly with the stator and RR of the old carby XX's being fairly low spec.

Help? ANyone??

Subscribing as I would like a solution for this also that is not a $60 LED package...

A "charge light", otherwise known as an "idiot light", doesn't do much more than tell

you the charging system has failed completely, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

You would be better off, IMHO, installing a voltage meter, so you can monitor the real

state of the stator/RR output. There are many available and have been mentioned

numerous times here on the board. I have one of these:

Volt Meter

I like this one because it also has a thermometer so I can know just how hot or cold

it is :icon_biggrin: and it's relatively inexpensive. I mounted it here:

post-892-1249235502.jpg

A "charge light", otherwise known as an "idiot light", doesn't do much more than tell

you the charging system has failed completely, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

You would be better off, IMHO, installing a voltage meter, so you can monitor the real

Volt Meter

I like this one because it also has a thermometer so I can know just how hot or cold

post-892-1249235502.jpg

Have hunted locally for a multifunction display like that for a while... 3rd world countries don't get the good shit.

Volt Meter

post-892-1249235502.jpg

If you buy this one make sure it doesn't see water. I've gone throw 3 of them now. Won't put another on but that Acumen looks great going to have to look into it.

Volt Meter

post-892-1249235502.jpg

If you buy this one make sure it doesn't see water. I've gone throw 3 of them now. Won't put another on but that Acumen looks great going to have to look into it.

Good point; I forgot to mention that. I never ride in the rain and am careful around it when

washing the bike, so it didn't occur to me to include that fact.

I found the Acumen here but with the BB specific plug and play harness it is $159! Anyone have a cheaper source?

http://motojunker.com/index.php?main_page=...56da378ae271057

They are smoking glue on the harness prices. The harness cost almost as much as the gauge, looked up the instructions and it is only 5 wires so no way I'm paying $58+ for a harness.

I found the Acumen here but with the BB specific plug and play harness it is $159! Anyone have a cheaper source?

http://motojunker.com/index.php?main_page=...56da378ae271057

They are smoking glue on the harness prices. The harness cost almost as much as the gauge, looked up the instructions and it is only 5 wires so no way I'm paying $58+ for a harness.

Yep, I agree - the universal version seems like the ticket unless there is a cheaper source.

Have hunted locally for a multifunction display like that for a while... 3rd world countries don't get the good shit.

It might take me a while to get it done, due to a very hectic work schedule, but if you are interested

in this unit, I can see about acquiring one and then sending it to you. I have no idea about how much

shipping or customs might be, however.