CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is this the correct chain for the bird?

kjclark7

i just bought a chain and sprockets today from a local honda dealership. they had nothing in stock so i had them order stock replacements for the sprockets and a "o" ring chain not an "x" ring. being in a rush when i picked them up today i didn't get a chance to look at the sprockets or chain until i got home.

i put both sprockets on with out a problem but i am wondering if they gave me the correct chain for the bird. on the box it says D.I.D 50 VA-120ZB and D.I.D 530 V O Ring. in the manual it calls for D.I.D 50 ZVS. i couldn't find that anywhere.

before i put that on tomorrow, can you tell me if that is right?

they didn't give me a stock replacement for the front sprocket because it didn't have the rubber around it like the stock one does. will that make much of a difference?

thanks.

kevin

They did not give you the right chain. The correct DID chain for the bird is a DID ZVM, now a DID ZVM2. It's about tensile strength with the higher horsepower of the bird.

The rubber around the sprocket is a noise/vibration dampener, and you probably won't notice it not being there, especially if you wear ear plugs.

Also, they gave you a 120 link chain, the bird takes a 110. You can cut the chain to size (assuming you have a tool) which is what I usually do.

You may want to check out White Buffalo Racing:

http://www.whitebuffaloracing.com/shopcont...?type=didchains

i just bought a chain and sprockets today from a local honda dealership. they had nothing in stock so i had them order stock replacements for the sprockets and a "o" ring chain not an "x" ring. being in a rush when i picked them up today i didn't get a chance to look at the sprockets or chain until i got home.

i put both sprockets on with out a problem but i am wondering if they gave me the correct chain for the bird. on the box it says D.I.D 50 VA-120ZB and D.I.D 530 V O Ring. in the manual it calls for D.I.D 50 ZVS. i couldn't find that anywhere.

before i put that on tomorrow, can you tell me if that is right?

they didn't give me a stock replacement for the front sprocket because it didn't have the rubber around it like the stock one does. will that make much of a difference?

thanks.

kevin

The chain won't be a ZVM because you had them order an O-ring chain instead of an X-ring chain.

If your recipe says to use corn syrup and you send someone to the store for molassas, the bottle you get back won't say corn syrup on it.

If you had them order stock sprockets, why would they not get the correct front sprocket?

Sounds like you need a new dealer.

Your O-ring chain will work fine. So will your new NON-stock front sprocket. Clean and grease the splines and clutch rod while you're in there.

thanks for the info. as long as it will work and has the proper tensile strength and not under what its supposed to be. as far as the sprocket, i usually ride with ear plugs so i'll see if i can hear it or not. if i do, i guess i'll have them try again and order me a stock replacement with the rubber on it. i appreciate the info guys. had to get this done asap, i'm going on a motorcycle trip up to the adirondacks on sat for a week and my chain was stretched out and had a few tight spots. i'll let you know how i make out.

kevin