CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Pressure Regulator

BackStreet

I have been corresponding with Turbo City on this, since my '99 has what appears to be a failing FPR. The TC version is set to 42 psi. The stock pressure for the 99-00 Bird is 43 psi. Later years apparently used 36 psi regulators. What does all this mean? Well, for me it means that I should probably just get another stock regulator instead of the expensive version.

Page 1-6 in the service manual says 50psi and my stock '02 FPR measures 50psi.

My service manual is for the 99-2000 and has the 43 psi pressure as listed about. The "apparently" for the later years came from trying to find other posts that had this info. So now that we have a service manual reference for the later years, the new percentage (at idle) is 19% lower for the TC version used on later (2001-) Birds. I had another exchange with them today about their testing a 50 psi version of the FPR, that makes more sense now! They will have results in two weeks.

As you know - my stock one is coming your way as soon as I get a replacement :)

Do you want my 2003 stock one? I'll send it to you. It was working fine when I took it out 3 weeks ago.

Hell, if it was not raining I could drop it off tonight.

Generous offer, thanks! I have a new one (stock along with plugs and air filter) coming tomorrow or Thurs. I am in NYC both days so I guess Friday is my first riding opportunity.

Yes, this rain would be a bummer if I had a running BB ;)

I have a 2000 bike, with a turbo fpr for it, and a 2002 wiring harness and computer, now. So my pressure is less than stock 2000, and the spray would be less atomazised due to that. And is a lot less than should be for a 2002. And my afr's are stunningly good with hand built 2 into one 2.5 inch collector pipes and modified micron mufflers shortened with no pc installed. Live real time readout on the dash of afr's that I would not change if I wanted to. 'go figure. I run some 14.5's at 70 cruise flat ground, and some 11.9 railing the shit out of it at 9g.

11.9 afr at WOT is waaaaay too rich for normally aspirated high revving modern motorcycle engine,you are just loosing power and wasting fuel at those numbers.Lean that mofo 12-14 % and enjoy extra power.

Turbos,different story.

You could get better gas mileage by going to 15.5-16.0 at cruise.

I have a 2000 bike, with a turbo fpr for it, and a 2002 wiring harness and computer, now. So my pressure is less than stock 2000, and the spray would be less atomazised due to that. And is a lot less than should be for a 2002. And my afr's are stunningly good with hand built 2 into one 2.5 inch collector pipes and modified micron mufflers shortened with no pc installed. Live real time readout on the dash of afr's that I would not change if I wanted to. 'go figure. I run some 14.5's at 70 cruise flat ground, and some 11.9 railing the shit out of it at 9g.

11.9 afr at WOT is waaaaay too rich for normally aspirated high revving modern motorcycle engine,you are just loosing power and wasting fuel at those numbers.Lean that mofo 12-14 % and enjoy extra power.

Turbos,different story.

yep, but those are worst case seen under loaded and unloaded conditions. Safe for sure, but with the mods done to the exhaust, not bad. Now I do get what your talking when I pulled the cans off in the hills. And that will heat the motor more too. Was a cool day and I was not beating on it for long so it lived to fight another day. Did pull the wheels better too..... Didn't it?

I do plan on getting another pc to put on this, was going to but could not sell my old one. Things to tight now.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been corresponding with Turbo City on this, since my '99 has what appears to be a failing FPR. The TC version is set to 42 psi. The stock pressure for the 99-00 Bird is 43 psi. Later years apparently used 36 psi regulators. What does all this mean? Well, for me it means that I should probably just get another stock regulator instead of the expensive version.

My service manual is for the 99-2000 and has the 43 psi pressure as listed about. The "apparently" for the later years came from trying to find other posts that had this info. So now that we have a service manual reference for the later years, the new percentage (at idle) is 19% lower for the TC version used on later (2001-) Birds. I had another exchange with them today about their testing a 50 psi version of the FPR, that makes more sense now! They will have results in two weeks.

Do you want my 2003 stock one? I'll send it to you. It was working fine when I took it out 3 weeks ago.

Generous offer, thanks! I have a new one (stock along with plugs and air filter) coming tomorrow or Thurs. I am in NYC both days so I guess Friday is my first riding opportunity.

cbracerx, any word from Turbo City on the 50# regulator for the '99 -'00 XX?

Mr. Mike.

cbracerx, any word from Turbo City on the 50# regulator for the '99 -'00 XX?

Mr. Mike.

Nothing yet. I went with the stock reg and it arrived a few days ago. Installed it and things appear to be fixed, but the weather and work has not let me ride to confirm.

And I am going to cut a stock one up and post the results. Cause they are not that easy to modify. Destructive analysis would be more like it. Not at all sure what or how they can do anything to it. Looks like a crimped on top. No way to undo that and still redo it back well.

cool, it will help to have more to do the writeup, I have gotten one from spicholy also, thanks spicholy should have told you i got it.

Well.......... ?

Turbos,different story.

True.

ON our unmodified birds,

Best power is achieved with AFR's inbetween 13.1-13.4,

if you have ethanol mixed fuels in your area, 13.4 is better as the higher temps in the combustion chamber help to vaporize the colder ethanol,

At cruising speeds at 45-65mph, AFR's of 14.5-16.5 will get you the best gas mileage, anything higher than that and your shooting yourself in the foot with excessive heat gain and combustion effeciency losses.

12.6- 13.1 is good for cooling the cylinders down, but

Anything below 12.6 AFR's is just wasting fuel.

Theres alot more I would suggest at other TP setting and load ranges, but I won't get into that right now.

well I decided to test the fpr I got from spicholly, and it was a good one, pulled vacumn at 15 inches for half a day. no leaks.

Waiting for another from a board member to tear apart... :icon_whistle: that is bad.

What about testing the pressure side ?

Maybe it's weak.... or maybe it's to stiff.

going to.......gota make a fitting witha gauge etc. kinda wondering about using nitrogen or a fluid... really need an adjustable one ya know...external adj,,,,kinda by your kneeeeee,,,,hummmmm

A fluid test would be the best, but a simple air line and regulator would get you close to a pressure reading.

My guess is..... that the ethanol blended fuels tend to dry out the diaphrams, and in doing so, make them stiffer and less flexible. This would in turn increase the fuel pressure in the system, and richen up the AFR's, even under low or No load conditions, such as idling, that would cause the motor to stuble and fuel mileage to drop, but yet still run decent under most other conditions.

So when you bench test it, don't use an oil or silicone fluid if you want to liquid pressure test it. Soapy water would work just fine.

As for the adjustable FPR, on the bike down by your knee....... I'm not sure I understand the point, as a PC3 would do a much better job of letting you control the high and low AFR points throughout the TP, RPM, and Load ranges.

..... I need to think about this some more.

I wonder what affect high FP's have on ethanol laden fuels and the system..... better vaporization, yes... but what about cooling, flow rates and pulse timing, nozzle scouring, etc.

I am thinking that an adjustable afr would give you the ability to have a program that was good, but with an afr you could fine tune for conditions. Kinda like you did with the cruise settings. but better. I would like to have the ability to see. After seeing what the Turbo FPR did with a few psi and that the latter ones having 50 psi.

Just a screw to turn on the end...pressure regulators have them..

OH I see...

Another fun experiment / project..... in the quest for knowledge, of a possible useful means, but more than likely unnecessary, but fun.

Ooooo I like those kind of projects.... and I have a bunch myself. :icon_biggrin:

Another though I had about the FPR condition that I forgot to mention is...

Then Ethanol laden fuel may be causing the diaphragm to swell/expand, and in doing so distort the diaphragm's shape just enough to cause it to not want to flex/ bend/ give.

Now..... with the FPR sitting on your shelf, and out of the Fuel environment for a period of time, it may have dried out, the swollen rubber that is, and act as a normal, correct diaphragm. But there is a solution, to test that theory as well.

First conduct your liquid pressure test with the soapy water, then remove the FPR and allow it to dry or dry it out carfully ( No heat), then add one drop of alcohol to the fuel side of the regulator, let it sit for a few minute, and repeat the pressure test.

See, that sound like Fun, don't it.

well I decided to test the fpr I got from spicholly, and it was a good one, pulled vacumn at 15 inches for half a day. no leaks.

Waiting for another from a board member to tear apart... that is bad.

Some time ago I put a bad one up for free in the For Sale section. Hopefully I didn't throw it away........

My is guaranteed shot! Oil pan was full of gas! :icon_redface:

Waiting for another from a board member to tear apart... that is bad.

Some time ago I put a bad one up for free in the For Sale section. Hopefully I didn't throw it away........

My is guaranteed shot! Oil pan was full of gas! :icon_redface:

let me know.