CBR1100XX.org Forum

Akropovic supersport exhaust

bwflorence

Hi everyone,

Im thinking about getting a new exhaust for the bird.

Its a 2003 model and Akra make a good 4-2-1 system that I like.

Problem is that they sell it for the '2004-2006' models.

Whats the difference between the 2003 and 2004 models as far as the exhaust system goes ??

I thought the bird wasnt changed at all (apart from colours) after 2001.

Also, any recommendations on other full exhaust systems ??

Price isnt the most important factor. Id rather pay more for a good looking/functional system than spend less and be unhappy with the result.

If I could somehow keep the centre stand, that would be a bonus...

Thanks for the help.

B.

:icon_twisted:

Hi everyone,

Im thinking about getting a new exhaust for the bird.

Its a 2003 model and Akra make a good 4-2-1 system that I like.

Problem is that they sell it for the '2004-2006' models.

Whats the difference between the 2003 and 2004 models as far as the exhaust system goes ??

I thought the bird wasnt changed at all (apart from colours) after 2001.

Also, any recommendations on other full exhaust systems ??

Price isnt the most important factor. Id rather pay more for a good looking/functional system than spend less and be unhappy with the result.

If I could somehow keep the centre stand, that would be a bonus...

Thanks for the help.

B.

:icon_twisted:

mate they stopped bringing them in to the states in 2003, we aint seen anything newer than that.

believe there is no difference, butt check with another skippy

There hasn't been a change to the 'bird exhaust system since they went from carbs to injectors in '99. Case in point, I put '99 model headers on my '98 'bird, years ago. So you won't have a problem with the Akro.

For info, I now have an '07 with Yoshi 4-2-1 installed. The main thing you will need to consider is the added cost of getting a PC3 and O2 sensor eliminator to keep he fueling correct after installation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a single sided Yoshi, I was kind of sad when I got the bike with it because I liked the twin pipe look, but it has grown on me and it's very quiet.

post-20371-1247066223.jpg

post-20371-1247066255.jpg

Akra's a great system, but only comes in stainless steel. The new version may just have a O2 sensor hole you'll need to plug (may even come with the plug).

If you want maximum gain, go with TiForce, which is titanium. More expensive, however, and Akra is very close to performance.

I have a Yosh 4-2-1 that I have had on both of my Birds. About 45K total miles and it still sounds good. Quiet when you want it to be, and sweet music on top. The carbon fiber is a little faded and the stainless is a little yellow, but not that bad for its age. I think it has been the best value and a center-stand stop is included.

Did you also need to install a power commander ??

You don't need a PC with slip-ons, although it's still recommended.

I would NOT run a full system without a PC installed. Once you ride a properly tuned bike, you'll know why.

I have a single sided Yoshi, I was kind of sad when I got the bike with it because I liked the twin pipe look, but it has grown on me and it's very quiet.

Did you also need to install a power commander ??

It doesn't hurt anything if you don't, but if you want to squeak out every last HP, put one on. For the record, I don't have one on mine.

A PC probably won't add more than a few hp, but it will definitely clean up the midrange, and give you better throttle response.

Most bikes will run rich with slip-ons installed without tuning. Much more so with a full system.